Railroad Forums 

• CSX Freight Into Boston Now

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1071852  by lakeshoredave

What CSX freights still run into Boston? I heard a rumor that all freight originate/terminate at Worcester and its mainly light power that goes to Beacon Park.
 #1071856  by CSX Conductor

There is very little van traffic with Worcester about to open up. Once Worcester is open, Beacon Park will no longer see intermodal service.

Cars for Beacon Park & Chelsea are brought from Framingham to Beacon by local B723.

The New England Produce Market is still serviced by local B721 Sunday-Thursday. This job is based out of Beacon Park.

For Readville jobs, I don't know when the last time The Boston Globe got railcars, but the Ameri-Cold Storage warehouse by Southampton Street got 4 reefers last week,
 #1072620  by csor2010

Q164, Q012, and Q119 still tend have some sort of train behind them into/out of Beacon Park. I can't speak for Q018, Q020, Q017, or Q019, but I'm pretty sure that Q022 is terminating in Worcester now. Of course, this all ends next month barring light engine moves to the fuel rack in Boston.
 #1072666  by CSX Conductor

Teamdriver wrote:Do cars still go into the old S&S Readville to be transloaded to trailers, wine cars and such?
Yes, List Distribution seems to be doing nothing but expanding. Several cars can be seen at S&S from the NEC, and several more wine cars are usually seen in the yard.
 #1074341  by CSX Conductor

Tracer wrote:Noticed quite a few center beams on the romar siding yesterday.
That's U.S. Gypsum, which gets cars of sheet rock. They originally were located on "the middle runaround" at RTE128 Industrial Park until 2008/2009 when a property developer bought most of the land with the plans of building a giant shopping & residential complex...which of course never happened.
 #1074562  by railman616

Yep Mr. Conductor that plan going under the title "Best layed plans of Mice and Men". Babba said "We are still trying to find a place for Romar to go". But you know what babba thinks of customers. The G&U wants the work. Hopefully we will keep the work.
 #1075069  by QB 52.32

Worcester Telegram and Gazette reporting in today's paper that Romar is re-locating its business to Hopedale on the G&U with operations scheduled to start by Oct. 1. According to the article, traffic will be building materials, palletized fiber, rolled paper, and toys and games. Printed in the T&G business section, but nothing on-line.
 #1085349  by MBTA1016

CSX Conductor wrote:There is very little van traffic with Worcester about to open up. Once Worcester is open, Beacon Park will no longer see intermodal service.

Cars for Beacon Park & Chelsea are brought from Framingham to Beacon by local B723.

The New England Produce Market is still serviced by local B721 Sunday-Thursday. This job is based out of Beacon Park.

For Readville jobs, I don't know when the last time The Boston Globe got railcars, but the Ameri-Cold Storage warehouse by Southampton Street got 4 reefers last week,
I thought B723 served Walpole to Mansfield unless I got my locals mixed up.
 #1085399  by Knucklehead

Mbta fan wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:There is very little van traffic with Worcester about to open up. Once Worcester is open, Beacon Park will no longer see intermodal service.

B723 reports at 0800 and is out of Framingham and switches Tate & Lyle at the old Westborough Auto Yard, returns to Framingham, then generally runs to Beacon Park and returns to Framingham
 #1086034  by railman616

The end of this week the Flexi-Flow cars will be moved to the Westboro site on B723. After Oct 2nd transfer date intermodel will start the move back to Worcester. By Nov 1st we will only use Leader 2 & 3 and TV1-4. The yard tracks will be spiked out. We will only use the engine service center for the service of road power and the van site for car storage for B721. The first stacks will be in Worcester sometime next week. And soon we will loss the 3 yard switcher jobs at Beacon. 7 good paying job gone from T&E and more from the Car, M&W, and Mechanical. Thanks Tim Murray. Once it's gone it ain't coming back.
 #1086152  by GP40MC1118

Sad to hear this....reminds me of the abandoned B&M Yard 7 in E. Cambridge...should've been a NB
Roadrailer facility, but noooo....we had to get suckered into the North Point condos...How did that
work out? Should've been the site of the Green Line facility instead of kicking out MS Walker (its
employees and rail service). Maybe they can convince MS Walker to go to Hopedale too...

D
 #1086196  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Mbta fan wrote:

last I heard, bout 2 months ago, B733 out of Readville, was servicing the Mansfield area....but as of lately, as recently as today, 9/26, I've seen CSX power that is not based out of Readville servicing the Chocolate siding....so this job is either coming out of Middleboro???? or Framingham????

and B731 (out of Readville) services the Walpole area (East Walpole industrial track) heard it over the radio yesterday, 9/25...as a freight was working the Chocolate Factory in Mansfield...so that axes B731 out for this mystery local
 #1086292  by MBTA1016

Mbta 1050 that would explain the train horn I heard in Norwood. I live literally 2minutes from the shingle factory on the east Walpole industrial track. I've even seen csx switching them out a few months ago.