Railroad Forums 

• CSX Train Hits West Point tunnel

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1065352  by Phase Gap

2am on 7-22-12 A North bound train hits the west point tunnel and then the container hits the southbound train at Newburgh. Crew sounds pretty shaken up but are ok. Stuff from the container is lined the righ way from West Point tunnel North.... The damage sounds pretty bad to the train sitting on the siding at Newburgh.
 #1065487  by AMK0123

Phase Gap, thanks for the info.... After I saw the post this morning I turned on my scanner. Sounded like the southbound train that was struck on the siding in Newburgh was the Q-162. Don't know the extent of the damage but the crew of the Q-273 ran light power north out of NJ and then ran the train southbouond around 0900. During that time they were running trains on the main through Newburgh at restricted speeds. Some of them that I heard were the southbound Q-010, Q-008, Q-156 and northbound K-419 and Q-438. I got over to Newburgh around 1100 hrs only to see a hi-rail truck bringing what was left of the packages down toward milepost 53 and placing them in a large pile by the roadway. Where the container struck the train is unacessable to the public so I couldn't get a first hand view or pictures. CSX resumed traffic only on the main and have been running sporadic through the area, allowing trains to run on the siding for a period of time then stopping all traffic, then resuming on the siding. A crew from RJ Corman is also on the scene. From the radio chatter as of 1600 hours it seems they're still attempting to remove the container from the ROW.