CSX Boston and Albany Line

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Stp243

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Post by Stp243 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Ironman wrote:Yes, that's it. Five new tracks being built, switch still exists but the frog will have to be replaced. It's one of the special frogs that strongly favor the straight move, I think it's called a jump frog.
Western Recycle's project looks to be completed as there was a string of C&D cars spotted at the facility as of last weekend. Its great to see new online business in this area, seems like for my whole life (34y/o) I've only seen customers close down or move away from this area. I remember as a kid seeing boxcars spotted at what is now WestRock on Parker St in Springfield. The adjacent tracks were raised for an underpass project so I doubt we'd see them come online again.

bostontrainguy

Post by bostontrainguy » Fri May 31, 2019 8:31 am

Checking satellite maps, I see no rail at this facility. I will assume there was a siding built here?

Stp243

Post by Stp243 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:46 pm

bostontrainguy, yes a new siding was built there over the past 6 months or so. There was already a switch in place just east of the Old Boston Road overpass. That switch was how the Ludlow Mills were accessed from the B&A way back when and it can be seen on Google Maps. The current map does not show the new configuration.

QB 52.32

Post by QB 52.32 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:32 am

Mini-LandBridge (MLB) container traffic from West coast ports has re-emerged on the B&A during the past few months with a box or more most days. A trickle compared with the 1990's heyday torrent before west coast transloading into domestic containers or re-routing to all water via the Suez or Panama Canals and East coast ports, but noteworthy nonetheless. CSX CEO Foote has spoken of this traffic target as an early initiative in their intermodal business pivot. Would imagine it targets traffic with a need for speed. Also appears Estes has recently joined FedEx Freight, UPS Freight and R&L use of the B&A for linehaul LTL movements.

Jedijk88

Post by Jedijk88 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:55 am

Its great to see new online business in this area, seems like for my whole life (34y/o) I've only seen customers close down or move away from this area. I remember as a kid seeing boxcars spotted at what is now WestRock on Parker St in Springfield
As a side note, business at Sulco-Lancer Warehouse off Roosevelt Ave seems to be busy most days with boxcars spotted on both sidings. I believe they are getting reefers now. Not sure if their other warehouse off Cottage St. still receives cars.

Stp243

Post by Stp243 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:48 pm

Not exactly on the B&A but does anyone know what happened at the Robbins Road (Springfield) crossing on the Athol Branch last night (10/16)? The Eastman local (don't know its symbol) was parked just east of the crossing for more than 24 hours. Never seen a train lay over there before. Also, there were city DPW trucks and Springfield Police gaurding the (flashing) crossing. The whole scene looked odd.

Return to “CSX Transportation”