Railroad Forums 

• Did CP GMD FP7's Ever Have Dual Control Stands?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1537984  by NellsChoo

HI folks

A recent blog post of mine is a review of Silver Streak (1976), and while putting together screen-shots, it all of a sudden dawned on me that the lead unit of the movie's consist, CP 4070, appears to have dual controls.

When it comes to what goes on in the cab of locomotives, I don't know a whole lot: the conductor sits on the LEFT, like in a car, and the engineer sits on the RIGHT. BUT, we see what appears to be the engineer sitting in and radioing from the RIGHT, until the bad guy gets into the cab, then the train gets controlled from the LEFT.

If you click the link below and scroll to the second half of the post, you will see some screen shots showing what I mean. All the shots of Patrick McGoohan as the meanie Devereau are taken with him in the RIGHT door, with the train seemingly being controlled from the LEFT.

https://nellsreviews.blogspot.com/2020/ ... -1976.html

NOW, it is POSSIBLE that they were actually PUSHING the train in those scenes, but that would have involved a lot of shuffling of equipment, re-shoots, etc, and all that costs time and money.

Not being familiar with CP/Canadian practices, and the fact that loco was a GMD not EMD... well... can anyone clear this up for me???

JD
 #1547440  by Engineer Spike

I don’t know why a control stand would be on the left. Some road switchers have one on each side, but one faces each direction. That doesn’t make sense on a F because it’s really not bidirectional. My only idea was bad editing. Maybe the film got put in backwards, so that a reverse image resulted. The editor probably didn’t realize, and not being a railroad expert didn’t catch it. Maybe it was done on purpose for lighting and or effect.