Railroad Forums 

• Baldwin Locomotive Records

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#741392  by Johnwmayo

How do I find out about Baldwin locomotive number 43948, supposedly built in July, 1916?

Looking through the archived postings about builders plates, I am getting the impression that the records for specific Baldwin locomotives are not available on-line. Is this true? Answers to older posts seem to have come from private individuals who have copies of the Baldwin Locomotive Registers, but now they may have donated their register copies to museums?

I emailed the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum, but have not received an answer yet. They indicated on their website that they do not take research requests by email. Since I live in Colorado, it's not practical to visit their museum in person. The other possible museum is at SMU in Dallas. I haven't contacted them yet.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
John Mayo
 #742157  by hankadam

REGISTER OF ENGINES BUILT - - - Books 1 through 4 were donated to the Smithsonian when BLH exited the locomotive business in 1955. No copies were made. BLH and later the Baldwin-Hamilton Company retained books 5 through 9 as important reference material. Sometime around 1975 I had copies of 5 through 9 made, keeping one copy for myself. This is why you find answers to many questions, from me, as I referred to these copies. I gave mine to a Railroad and Museum (which will remain nameless) about three years ago so I can no longer help. However we made several copies of 5 through 9 before donating these original to the Smithsonian. The Railroad Museum of California has a set, along with the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. Try Pennsylvania again, in writing, and offer to pay for the research. We have had numerous cut-backs across the State, and the Historical and Museum Commission was hit especially hard. Good luck, but be prepared to pay for the effort. All the best, Hank Rentschler
 #742219  by Johnwmayo

Hank,

Thank you very much for your concise answer to how one researches Baldwin engines. I was hoping you would see my post and reply.

I'll try the Pennsylvania RR Museum, and possibly California.

Thanks again,
John Mayo