Railroad Forums 

• Rayonier Baldwin S-12 info needed.

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#160436  by mandealco

Hi
I'm about to detail and paint an N-scale Baldwin S-12 switcher to represent one of Rayonier's 2 original units #'s 201-202.

I have some B&W photos of the switchers, but all show the left hand side only. Ahead of the battery box on the LHS there is a box similar in x-section to the battery box, but it runs to near the front of the hood. There is a 2" pipe that runs up from this to just above the hood doors before entering the hood itself. Another pipe of a larger diameter appears to come out of the top of the hood and rises at an angle, ending just behind the headlight. I'm only guessing as to the purpose of these extra fittings. Being a forestry railroad I thought they could be for fire protection, however one of the pics appears to show an electrical cable plugged in just ahead of the battery box. Does anyone out there know what these parts are for?

I have not seen these on any other Baldwin switchers. There are a host of other detail nicities on these units, exhaust caps, antennas, rerailers, radio equipment boxes, cables and a couple of other unique details.

I'm also guessing at the colours for the frame area. The locomotives are green and yellow, and I'm guessing the frame is green and the dashed stripes on the side are yellow. Does anyone out there have any information to help with either the detailing or the colours, or know of any more photos?

IRONY: The Rayonier mill I used to work at has just been bought by Koreans, which is where my S-12 comes from!

Cheers
Steve
Modelling NJ in NZ
http://www.railimages.com/gallery/steveadair