Railroad Forums 

• Cab Ride From Hell -- BNSF Cornfield Meet on Tape

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#402565  by Wanderer

Yeah...this kind of explains itself. Watch the signal of the train you are "riding" just before you get to the switch. You can actually see the signal drop to a Stop indication because of the opposing move having run his red boards. The film runs right through the impact, so this is going to hurt...A LOT...

Cornfield Meet On Tape...

#402598  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

wow that was crazy, did the crew make it out of both trains? when was this and what were the units? if known

#402629  by UPRR engineer

Man thats a nightmare, no time to jump, horrible.

#402650  by Wanderer

Apparently the way it occurred was that the train holding the main fell asleep without making sure the train was fully secure. They woke up to that wonderful head on scenery, and did a swan dive over the side of the widecab. The crew the video was riding along with hung on for dear life as their train piled up on them, and the engine apparently went over.

#402677  by MNRR_RTC

Wow, I hope all concerned got out o.k.

#402731  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Wanderer wrote:Apparently the way it occurred was that the train holding the main fell asleep without making sure the train was fully secure. They woke up to that wonderful head on scenery, and did a swan dive over the side of the widecab. The crew the video was riding along with hung on for dear life as their train piled up on them, and the engine apparently went over.

if you look closely at the train that ran the stop signal, you can see a lot of smoke pouring out from the sides of the locomotives, it looks like brake smoke from emergency stopping

#402762  by thirdtrick

didn't know those little cameras did sound...

#402778  by EMTRailfan

Big Brother is always watching and listening.

Thanks for sharing the video. Kinda like watching a NASCAR race. You don't want to see anyone get hurt, but the crumpled metal...
Guess that's why most EMS ppl prefer crashes over grandma hasn't crapped for 2 weeks calls.

#402801  by rwallace2fan1

i've heard the the mic's are mounted outside the cab to record whistle blows and crossing bells. Rumor has it that the carriers want one in the cab now to, kind of like flight cockpit recorders.

#402841  by GN 599

The crew fell asleep while they were still moving. A couple of guys ended up in critical condition but all survived. A good friend of mine was in that siding three hours before that happened. They showed that footage to us months ago with some other footage of a train going into a spur track in dark territory at 40 mph. Not good.

#403041  by Wanderer

GN 599 wrote:The crew fell asleep while they were still moving. A couple of guys ended up in critical condition but all survived. A good friend of mine was in that siding three hours before that happened. They showed that footage to us months ago with some other footage of a train going into a spur track in dark territory at 40 mph. Not good.
Apparently one also tested positive for drugs.

#403173  by RussNelson

Hmph. Video has been deleted.

#403237  by rhyrhy

RussNelson wrote:Hmph. Video has been deleted.
It is now on YouTube if you search for cornfield meet iirc.

#403267  by Wanderer

rhyrhy wrote:
RussNelson wrote:Hmph. Video has been deleted.
It is now on YouTube if you search for cornfield meet iirc.
Hmmm...Bandwith or Management. Only time will tell...

#403325  by NS212

I wonder how this video slipped out into the public. Don't think BNSF would be too happy about that. But anyways, when I first watched that video I was horrified. I can't even begin to imagine what was going thru both of the crews minds. I hope anyone that works for the railroad on here or anywhere for that matter never experiences any accident like that.