Railroad Forums 

• FURX leases...

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#143695  by doepack

Yesterday I saw an EB stack train at Highlands on the Chicago Sub led by FURX lease SD40-2 #7886 still in pre-merger BN green and white paint. Does anyone know how many of these locomotives still wear this scheme, and also, how many FURX leases are on BNSF property these days?
Thanks in advance...

Dorian

#143741  by BlockLine_4111

I'd say at least a dozen maybe upto a few dozen. We see many leased units out here on the FR Sub. including blue & white Electro-Motive units.

#143801  by doepack

Have you seen the leased units leading trains out there? On the train I saw, there were two other BNSF units trailing the leased unit, but that was the first time I'd seen a leased unit leading. FWIW, I live next to Union Pacific's busy Geneva subdivision, and although they have their share of leased locos in the ranks, a unit in UP paint is ALWAYS leading...

#143976  by CN_Hogger

doepack wrote: FWIW, I live next to Union Pacific's busy Geneva subdivision, and although they have their share of leased locos in the ranks, a unit in UP paint is ALWAYS leading...
That's because of the cab signal system, leased units aren't equipped.

#144193  by BNConductorNH

The FURX units lead very often. I dont know why but Im convinced its done out of spite since anyone who has to ride in those things is going to be hating life. It drives me crazy when there is a beautiful dash-9 sitting behind me in the consist and Im stuck on an FURX lease loco.
 #170010  by AmtrakFan

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:I think it is strange that BNSF is getting rid of SD40-2s, then leasing them again and having them lead.
Saves them money! In Taxes.

#170038  by Amtrak31

For a leaser, FURX has a nice paint scheme. It's still sad to see the BNSF SD40-2's get repainted.

#170653  by GN 599

I am not sure if FURX actually owns all of them. I think there is some of kind of tax thing BNSF is doing combined with running off time owed to leasors, but that was a couple of years ago so I dont know now. I would rather have a solid consist of those over a "beautiful dash 9''. Anybody who's had to do any kind of switching with GE's know how slow they are to load which as an engineer makes life harder. I like the SD40-2's you always have power "right now". Some may have smellier toilets than others but the engineers (my) side is way more comfy than that stupid desktop control stand found on the pumkins. I dont get to run the SD40-2's enough. You cant bust em'! :-D