Railroad Forums 

• CENTRAL MAINE & QUEBEC RAILWAY (CMQ) — New Owner of MMA

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1259001  by CPF363

CN9634 wrote:A nearly $1M project involving rail in Beattie Maine (Near the border by Jackman) involving EJ Carrier Inc will bring a large spur and operation to the Moosehead. With this as well as Jackman and potentially Greenville recieving biomass for the power plant, it is certainly possible a turn job could come to the Moosehead. Perhaps a bit of luck for the CM&Q
Anymore news about this potential business?
 #1259228  by gokeefe

gpp111 wrote:From what I have read Greenville Biomass plant has only operated sporadically. It is not a large plant and I would not hold my breath that they will ever receive fiber by rail.
That could all change with a new carrier who is serious about service and traffic volume. Anything seems possible if the price is right.
 #1259310  by KSmitty

Why would you ship biomass to Greenville. Its in the middle of woods, lifelong supply of biomass to chip, mill, burn or build all right there. Cut the tree down, drag it across the road and just start feeding it into the boiler ass end first... :-D
 #1259340  by CN9634

KSmitty wrote:Why would you ship biomass to Greenville. Its in the middle of woods, lifelong supply of biomass to chip, mill, burn or build all right there. Cut the tree down, drag it across the road and just start feeding it into the boiler ass end first... :-D
Not all woods is the same my friend! Keep in mind also, who owns what land, costs of harvesting the wood, and actually identifying trees that can be harvested. There is a lot that goes into sustainable wood harvesting.

Have a gander here: http://sfimaine.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, no update on EJ Carrier. Chances are you won't see this for quite some time but they got the IRAP award this year so it may start whenever Maine decides to finally warm up. In other news, big storm on Wednesday, just another notch in the belt that is this endless winter.
 #1259941  by oat324

So while they wait for the paperwork to be completed before the takeover, why hasn't Fortress started trackwork? They could have a lot done by the time they take over and they wouldn't have to wait long to get the oil trains back on this route. I would like to see them try for intermodal with a NBSR/CMQ/CP routing because CN always has a nice cut on their regular train from Halifax.
 #1270744  by MEC407

Backshophoss wrote:Will the reporting marks be CMQR or CMQX?
Neither. CMQ has officially been registered as the reporting mark. I searched for CMQR in the AAR database and it has not been registered.
Attachments:
Screen shot 2014-05-17 at 3.05.24 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2014-05-17 at 3.05.24 PM.jpg (130.48 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
 #1270918  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Backshop, there are many a three letter reporting mark active.

However, I must wonder if on the CP-M/MMA/CMQ 'wheel reports' are still manually prepared. If such be the case, there could be confusion between CMQ and CMO. The latter is a reporting mark in use by the UP (Chicago, Minneapolis, & Omaha - The Omaha Road; a one time subsidiary of the C&NW).
 #1270925  by MEC407

Perhaps they'll have to write it in cursive to avoid confusion... but then it would look like CM2 :wink:
 #1270928  by mwhite

I was in East Millinocket, Millinocket and Brownville Junction this morning. There were MMA locomotives in both Millinocket and Brownville Junction. I'm wondering if they are still being used during a transition period?

Also one of the RCO cabooses was at Millinocket. Given their pledge to generally use two man crews, I suppose we won't be seeing them used anymore.

There is still a string of MMA hi- cube box cars at East Millinocket.
 #1270932  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. White, it was reported earlier that the locomotives were not included in the sale of the MMA property to CMQ. Likely those locomotives are either owned by or leased to the Estate. Since the new (to CMQ at least) EMD motive power is not yet on the property, the Estate may as well pick up a few bucks before they all go to their heavenly rest at a scrapyard.

For what it be worth, the Gray and Red liveried GE locomotives started life on the BN along about 1982 as leased motive power.