Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Southwest Chief Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1525372  by Backshophoss

The "Pueblo Detour" is still "up in the air" for the SWChief,UP controlled Pueblo-Walsenburg segment the reason
A Den-ABQ day train is possible, if UP plays nice
Any passenger train ops on the Joint Line require UP to play nice!
 #1525403  by Rockingham Racer

dgvrengineer wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:39 pm The section from Pueblo to Walsenburg is double track. I thought it was a joint operation between UP(Rio Grande) and BNSF(FW&D). Each company owning one of the two tracks.
That's BNSF's Spanish Peaks Sub. Has it been upgraded with any CTC? The info I have [from 2013] shows it as dark territory all the way south to Trinidad, with some single track south of Walsenburg.
 #1525454  by mtuandrew

dgvrengineer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:59 pm The chart I have (4/30/93) shows ABS from Walsenburg to Trinidad, but Pueblo to Walsenburg seems to be Dark.
I find it highly unlikely that’s still the case post-BN/ATSF merger, especially after the Powder River coal boom really got rolling. Also, that segment isn’t a UP-owned part of the Joint Line, is it? Could account for it not being noted accurately in a BN book.
 #1525639  by Backshophoss

Also known as UP Walsenburg sub,part, the joint line,ends at mp DRGW 180(SLRG jct)
That 5 mile difference locks SLRG to UP.
At Trindad there's a interchange to Raton Sub at the bridge.
 #1525689  by John_Perkowski

This was posted in the Super Chief Group on Facebook by one Evan Stair, an advocate who declares he’s the President of Passenger Rail Kansas and Passengrt Rail Oklahoma.

My take is instead of contemplating the old Denver section of the Grand Canyon, I’d be helping get a reroute on the TRANSCON, otherwise avoiding 180 day STB discontinuance notices...
Trinidad, CO Southwest Chief Rail Improvement Grant Application Rejected by USDOT.

We learned from the American Association of Private Rail Car Owners (AAPRCO) today that the USDOT rejected the City of Trinidad, CO BUILD Grant application for $16 million in federal funding. The grant request was slated for use on the ongoing project to rehabilitate track and infrastructure in Kansas, Colorado, and New Mexico on the Southwest Chief route.

Federal dollars were first dedicated to this project in 2014 through the Obama era TIGER grant program. Garden City, KS was the first recipient followed by La Junta, CO. These were both awarded while Joseph Boardman was serving as Amtrak CEO.

In late 2017, Colfax County, NM issued a TIGER Grant request. In this application, Amtrak, at the time headed by co-CEO Charles 'Wick' Moorman and Richard Anderson, inserted a list of conditional requirements before the company would provide a $3 million match.

These conditions spawned Congressional outrage from a bipartisan, bicameral group of lawmakers who took CEO Richard Anderson to task in the spring and summer if 2018. Eventually, Congress appropriated $50 million for repairs of which $3 million was to be used for Amtrak's match.

AAPRCO blames the Trump Administration that refocused TIGER successor BUILD grants to highways. We speculate the redirection comes primarily from USDOT Secretary Elaine Chao. Deputy USDOT Secretary Jeff Rosen is a member of the Amtrak Board of Directors as by tradition. It is not known if this played a role in the rejection but clearly, BUILD Grants are not a slam dunk.

We recommend that the Southwest Chief cities and partners refocus on the federal Consolidated Rail Investment and Improvement (CRISI) Grant program. This program is better suited to such grant requests. The program, by nature, focuses on rail programs. It therefore, offers a bit more transparency into decision-making on behalf of the USDOT.

Evan Stair
President
Passenger Rail Kansas
Passenger Rail Oklahoma
 #1525857  by Tadman

AAPRCO blames the Trump Administration that refocused TIGER successor BUILD grants to highways. We speculate the redirection comes primarily from USDOT Secretary Elaine Chao
I mean, it's not like they did wonders with the TIGER grants. How's that Illinois or MIchigan HSR going? Some snazzy decals on the Illinois cars that wind up all over the network, mocking Illinois, and the 110mph in Michigan may or may not be running depending on the phase of the moon and Miss Cleo's predictions.

Much as I'd like to see more TIGER/BUILD grants for Amtrak, they wasted a lot of money for nothing.

Compare that to the production tax credit for wind farms, being developed by private operators - they are CRUSHING it to get things moving on time before the tax credit sunsets. I think a further exploration of wind farms versus passenger trains, both subsidized, would be interesting.
 #1525998  by codasd

The joint line from Denver through Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Walsenburg and Trinidad is underutilized. It may become more so as additional coal plants are closed. Comanche I and II in Pueblo are scheduled to close before 2025. Colorado Springs is looking at closing the Drake coal plant. As the coal traffic revenue dries up would UP/BNSF look more favorable at hosting the SW Chief over the line?
 #1526032  by John_Perkowski

codasd wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:43 pm The joint line from Denver through Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Walsenburg and Trinidad is underutilized. It may become more so as additional coal plants are closed. Comanche I and II in Pueblo are scheduled to close before 2025. Colorado Springs is looking at closing the Drake coal plant. As the coal traffic revenue dries up would UP/BNSF look more favorable at hosting the SW Chief over the line?
For the pittance Amtrak pays for time on the line, are you nuts?
 #1526035  by David Benton

That pittance has been there for 50 years, through thick and thin. If the line is not at capacity, the cost is a pittance. If the passenger train contributes to the overheads its profit, if only a small one.
 #1526065  by mtuandrew

Does it actually make BNSF or UP any money if Amtrak uses their underutilized infrastructure? The marginal maintenance costs are going to be pretty low, as long as those railroads are already maintaining to FRA Class IV track standards. However, those two railroads may simply not run trains a few days of the week if demand is that low, and I don’t know if they would keep staff available on those subdivisions. But then, I’m not even sure that Class I railroads assign staff by subdivision anymore, and there might be dispatchers and maintenance staff available for the entire subdivision that could manage two extra trains a day without stress.

It’s a question that an independent auditor would have to work out with those Class I lines.
 #1526106  by east point

Amtrak cars will hardly do any wear due to their low axel loading on the tracks and ROW. Plus the new wheel profiles appears to reduce wear but are causing some signal system problems. Now the Diesels do have a higher axel loading/ Now take the common 286,000 pound loads ( 72,500 # or 36,250 per wheel ) of loaded freight rail cars much different.
 #1526238  by John_Perkowski

BNSF requires 28 axles for PTC.

The KC/St Louis turns have a motley collection of old Heritage coaches rebuilt in baggage, old Heritage crew sleeper, and the V-I experimental dining car to get the axle count up to snuff ... FOR FOUR MILES OF A 250 MILE ROUTE.

You guys are toking some seriously good stuff to think BNSF and UP still want to play passenger. In Chicago with METRA and elsewhere they do it because IT MAKES MONEY.
 #1526253  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed #3(26) today; twelve cars.

Two P-42, Bagg, T-Dorm, three Sleepers, Diner, Lounge, five Coaches.

Who knows if any of the Coaches were cut at KC,. but Amtrak seems willing to lengthen consists to meet the demand.