Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1521442  by Matt Johnson

electricron wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:00 pm Never-the-less, there are fewer and fewer places on an Amtrak train to socialize at all. There used to be lounges, smoking and smoke free, where you could socialize voluntary. Four playing Bridge overnight at a cafe table, someone breaking out a guitar in the smoking lounge, watching a movie in the observation lounge, etc. Today the tables are full of people trying to surf the web on their laptops, notepads, and phones. No one seems to want to share their trip with anyone else. That’s what is wrong with public transit today, and why airlines and Amtrak treats us as cattle squeezing as many of us as possible into the smallest possible space. I hope that Amtrak will not scrap their Superliner sightseer lounge cars anytime soon, because that is just about the only place left to socialize on their trains anymore.
I agree. I guess I was born in the wrong era! This is more my style!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Td9DDLp_JQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcJf4eMhass

But hey, that applies to commercial aviation as well! :)
Attachments:
airline.jpg
airline.jpg (76.61 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
 #1521472  by lordsigma12345

It should be noted you still have the option of sitting at a table in the dining car, even with strangers like before, if you want to. While Im going to wait to judge until I taste the new meals, if you still want to chat with people in the diner, that is still possible and now you can actually go even when meals aren’t being served.
 #1521478  by Tadman

lordsigma12345 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:29 am ... now you can actually go even when meals aren’t being served.
I like this idea. It could even lead to increased cafe sales. You get a group of people around a table playing cards at 10pm and perhaps everybody wants a beer or wine, or some chips after said beers and wines.
 #1521499  by lordsigma12345

Tadman wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:36 am
lordsigma12345 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:29 am ... now you can actually go even when meals aren’t being served.
I like this idea. It could even lead to increased cafe sales. You get a group of people around a table playing cards at 10pm and perhaps everybody wants a beer or wine, or some chips after said beers and wines.
It sounds like you'll be able to order beverages from the dining car LSA even during non-meal times.
 #1521508  by gokeefe

Tadman wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:36 amI like this idea. It could even lead to increased cafe sales. You get a group of people around a table playing cards at 10pm and perhaps everybody wants a beer or wine, or some chips after said beers and wines.
As Mr. Norman reminds us: "high margin alcoholic beverage sales" ...
 #1521638  by mtuandrew

BandA wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:29 am Can someone post the recipe for the mystical Railroad French Toast? I would love to replicate it at home.
Pretty sure it’s just regular French toast with a dab of diesel :wink: (since you just can’t get coal dust anymore :P )

But seriously, this looks about right:
https://www.food.com/recipe/santa-fe-ra ... ast-236922
 #1522133  by Backshophoss

With every "tweak" they do,the"Panera Bread" model of food service gets worse,better to strike the "Mica" amendment from the current law,
(Food Service is cost contained,ie $0.00 lost). By now what's on a McDonald's breakfast Menu or a Subway Breakfast Menu would be
more appealing then the current material from Aramark!
Heck,what's offered at the 7-11/Circle K in the AM would be better!