Railroad Forums 

• Thread For Posting Heritage Unit Locations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#911468  by kitn1mcc

eagle628 wrote:The front end of 156 looks like something McGinnis would have dreamed up for the New Haven.

exactly
 #911488  by Leo_Ames

Wonder why they didn't extend the black paint backwards up towards the top of the unit like on a SDP40F? It wasn't that way on the E and F units, but that was because they had grilles. Like what I just did a poor job of in paint really quickly.

I think it would've looked a little bit better.
Attachments:
example.jpg
example.jpg (57.59 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
 #911519  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Thinking of the Amtrak 40th Anniversary-what about the first locomotive to get an Amtrak color scheme: E-unit 4316 which was black with the pointless arrow wrapping around the unit's front with angled safety striping and large helvetica numerals towards the back...

I believe that this unit was the only one that was painted and striped in this manner...and it would be interesting to find out if it is still in use or preserved today...

Are there any good pictures of this unit out there? Would it be appropriate to paint a Genesis unit with this color scheme? If not now how about 10 years from now when Amtrak will be 50?

MACTRAXX
 #911562  by Leo_Ames

Let's hope they forgot about that experiment. :)

If for some reason they decided to do an additional paintscheme, the variation of the bloody nose scheme that they applied to GG1's with the blue band on them might adapt a bit better to those GE boxes they run.
 #911587  by atsf sp

I went to catch train 30 today in Pittsburgh and 156 was not leading. It must have never been placed on or set off in cleveland. But the Beech Grove was on it. It had a new 40th anniversary logo on it.
 #911588  by NS VIA FAN

Leo_Ames wrote:If for some reason they decided to do an additional paintscheme, the variation of the bloody nose scheme that they applied to GG1's with the blue band on them might adapt a bit better to those GE boxes they run.
Like this?.......And look, it must be a diesel powered GG1 or is it just the 1973 version of PhotoShop! (no cantenary)

#911594  by daylight4449

eagle628 wrote:The front end of 156 looks like something McGinnis would have dreamed up for the New Haven.
Ya, not in my mind. It looks good to me. Try replacing the platinum mist with an off white though...
 #911615  by chuchubob

atsf sp wrote:I went to catch train 30 today in Pittsburgh and 156 was not leading. It must have never been placed on or set off in cleveland. But the Beech Grove was on it. It had a new 40th anniversary logo on it.
156 reportedly went to Indianapolis on train 850 to return to Beech Grove for a minor paint modification.
 #911622  by daylight4449

chuchubob wrote:
atsf sp wrote:I went to catch train 30 today in Pittsburgh and 156 was not leading. It must have never been placed on or set off in cleveland. But the Beech Grove was on it. It had a new 40th anniversary logo on it.
156 reportedly went to Indianapolis on train 850 to return to Beech Grove for a minor paint modification.
I see one of two options:
1) fixing the "rounded" numbering
2) adding/modifying the red so it covers the nose and/or it doesn't look like a shade of orange
 #911671  by daylight4449

161pw165 wrote:Doubt it - ever think maybe they wanted the years to be rounded?
Makes sense. If they put the pointless arrow on 156, then why not? but what kind of paint needs touchup anyway?
 #911679  by 161pw165

I'm sure if it's not noticeable when the unit is released again, then one of the forum members with connections at Beech Grove will fill us in eventually.
 #911859  by TomNelligan

I remember Amtrak's early days, but never thought I'd see that paint scheme again. That is SOOOO much neater than the blah monochrome that Amtrak favors these days. I assume some consultant told them that the current blue-on-blue is great.