Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak expanding Wi-Fi

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#903893  by Murjax

buddah wrote:
Murjax wrote: I disagree that the lack of WiFi is really hurting ridership. Not everyone brings their laptops with them. In fact more people are probably on their phones if anything. That said though, WiFi probably helps increase ridership when it's available. Everyone loves free internet, even if they are already do have data plans on their phones.
That statement Id have to disagree with you on Murjax, first I cant think of anyone who does not own a pretty current laptop not bringing it with them on any type of trip unless a computer will be provided for them at there destination. Also as other members on this forum have pointed the Internet is here to stay! Maybe NO Wi-fi is not hurting Amtrak ridership today in a large way but in the soon to be future it will. 1+ Year ago or so a similar topic was started on railroad.net and I posed a link to a site broadbandreports, as an article was posed on the seemingly necessity of the Internet. It also had data collects from over millions of households on what goods and leisure items would people cut due to the economic crisis our country is in, and almost last on the list of things people would cut would be there Internet. The Data showed households would cut there cellular phone packages, satellite or cable TV, fast food habits, and night out entertainment before they would ever get rid of or even conceder lowering there broadband usage. The ISPs have taken note of this, as now you will notice most ISP want to CAP your broadband usage, under the ruse that there networks cant handle all the traffic the Internet is generating. There is virtually no Unlimited cellular data packages anymore. If you noticed in the last year all the major cell phone companies have caped or began to throttle there cellular broadband access, thought they still flaunt the word "unlimited" all over there ads. 3G and 4G speeds but if you go over 5 gigs your cut off or throttled to 56-256kbps or face huge overage costs. So even those with Internet access on there smartphones or a usb broadband stick will greatly appreciate the option to surf the web via WI-FI on Amtraks dime.
Once again to clarify myself, I was talking about the present day. I understand how much people rely on WiFi. I myself couldn't live without it, even though I did a little over a year ago. Right now it's just a matter of what inconveniences travelers are willing to accept. The amount of time spent traveling probably means just as much as connectivity, as does the cost of the trip. Now for example if NJT, MARC, or SEPTA decide to implement WiFi, that could take a bite into some of Amtrak's ridership.
 #903970  by RailRider

Well welcome to 2011 Amtrak!! It's about time. I hope this includes long distance / sleeper car trains such as the Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited and the Capitol Limited.
 #904297  by jstolberg

RailRider wrote:Well welcome to 2011 Amtrak!! It's about time. I hope this includes long distance / sleeper car trains such as the Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited and the Capitol Limited.
Sorry, long distance wireless is included in the 2012 budget request.
 #904426  by Gilbert B Norman

Even if I have now completed a seven night trip to Florida by auto, except for a SB Auto Train segment, and I found that hotel lobby computers were perfectly adequate "fixes' for me, I have done a reversal, as I noted earlier in the topic, regarding the "need" for Wi-Fi aboard Amtrak trains.

Aboard 53(20) I met a Mother traveling with her secondary school age daughter who were going to Florida to look at several schools down there (USF and FAU were the ones I recall her mentioning); the daughter had excused time off to make this trip and was "counting on' wi-fi to complete some of her homework. There was considered disappointment when this party learned it was only available when aboard the train at both LOR and SFA.

So even if I personally have no intention of needing wi-fi, it is my duty to respect that others are more addicted to such - and not just for pleasure. I think it time that Amtrak "gets with the program".
 #904452  by RailRider

jstolberg wrote:Sorry, long distance wireless is included in the 2012 budget request.
That's a shame. I spend a lot of money on my tickets... the cost of a cruise!
 #904693  by Mike77E9

I would welcome the addition of WiFi to all Amtrak Trains, including the LD's. Anytime I've been on Amtrak, I've used tethering to my phone for internet. The tethering works pretty well, but it can be a hassle, plug comes out of the phone, software on phone locks up, phone overheats, etc. I think on the Acela, Regional, and corridor trains, WiFi should remain free. On the LD's, maybe a nominal fee for the duration of the journey if they need to recover some of the costs. Amtrak could probably sell advertisements on the initial startup screen when you first connect with your internet browser. GPS tracking from that page would be pretty cool too - I know for myself that anytime I travel Amtrak with my Laptop connected to GPS, I always get at least a dozen or so people looking at my screen, interested in where we are and how fast we're going.

WiFi on the NE Regional and the corridor trains should be too much of an issue, as they go through populated areas. However, there's going to be challenges with the LD trains. I know with the Capitol Limited, I had very spotty cell service in West Virginia and southern PA, and I have Verizon. I wonder how this vendor is going to overcome these dead zones.
 #904716  by Hamhock

I think that the service should remain "free" everywhere, but have the cost built into the ticket price to cover it. This will greatly reduce the likelihood of people complaining when the service inevitably has technical issues or is intermittently slow, etc.
 #904721  by Jersey_Mike

Charging is a losing proposition where riders can increasingly turn to commercial wireless services they are already paying for. Amtrak's WiFi would become a service for the stupid, akin to their old RailPhone. I think that the Bolt style buses have led the way in showing that free WiFi is an easy way to appease riders on a service that may not be the fastest.
 #904964  by jamesinclair

RailRider wrote:
jstolberg wrote:Sorry, long distance wireless is included in the 2012 budget request.
That's a shame. I spend a lot of money on my tickets... the cost of a cruise!
Cruises charge 50 cents a MINUTE for internet. :(