Railroad Forums 

• Proposed Berlin Station Rennovations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#891754  by railaw

Looks like Berlin may be getting some rennovations; the romantic in me would be sorry to see the quaint, run-down, old-timey feeling of the station become more efficient and useful.

http://www.courant.com/community/berlin ... 3640.story

"BERLIN — — Residents may learn more about the planned $1.8 million renovation of the train station off Farmington Avenue at an information session scheduled Jan. 24.

The meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. at town hall.

Preliminary plans for the project call for the station to be extensively renovated and improvements made to the parking lot, landscaping and lighting. The station was built around 1900 and is in poor condition."
 #892262  by Stephen B. Carey

I love the old time feel at Berlin as well and I am guessing they are going to keep the basic design of the station intact. What would make me happy is if the stations hours were a little better. Hopefully this is a sign that increased service on the line is a not too distant reality.
 #892311  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Berlin station is on the Historic Register. The thrust of the renovations (except for upgrading the parking and installing more canopy on the platform) are restorations of the building to like-new condition. All that gets worked on will get diligent attention to full historical restoration, so no fear with this project that anything will get ripped out or ruined.
 #892450  by Gilbert B Norman

Here are photos of the Berlin CT station. Not surprisingly, that ticket cage looks quite similar to one "once upon a time" (likely before 50% of you here were even born) on the Eastbound side of Stamford.
 #894166  by justmejie

Stephen B. Carey wrote:I love the old time feel at Berlin as well and I am guessing they are going to keep the basic design of the station intact. What would make me happy is if the stations hours were a little better. Hopefully this is a sign that increased service on the line is a not too distant reality.

i agree better hours would be nice but at the same time the station only has one employee
 #898184  by CVRA7

The Berlin Station information meeting went well. The final assessment is about 30% complete, and about $1.8 million had been allocated for the project, virtually all of it federal investment through various Transportation Enhancement Acts and a Small Town Economic Enhancement Program (?). Work could begin in 2012 if Amtrak approves the project. Amtrak must keep the station open if they agree to participate according to local sources of information.
I have never heard officially that the station is on any register of historic buildings - can anyone say where this info was published?
 #898191  by CSX Conductor

justmejie wrote:
Stephen B. Carey wrote:I love the old time feel at Berlin as well and I am guessing they are going to keep the basic design of the station intact. What would make me happy is if the stations hours were a little better. Hopefully this is a sign that increased service on the line is a not too distant reality.

i agree better hours would be nice but at the same time the station only has one employee
If hours were extended, I'm sure they'd hire another ticket agent.