Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1475689  by Backshophoss

There was no mention that DV bridge was also under repair,the REAL reason for the change for this season of "Summer of H@@@" round 2,
nor the option of going via Boston to Chicago.
Amtrak seems to want NYC travelers to head south(RR west) to use the Capital Ltd,short turned at DC for this summer.
 #1475691  by ryanov

You mean Cardinal. Capitol is always out of DC.

My real problem with the breakfast is that it’s “breakfast breads” and fruit. I don’t eat breakfast “breads” at all — they aren’t good for you. Usually aka. dessert.
 #1475695  by David Benton

electricron wrote:
StLouSteve wrote:Breakfast is a box of food. More than enough. Highlights are slices of fresh fruit and yourgurt cup with granola and berries. You also get banana bread and muffin along with Kind bars. Fresh coffee available. Not a bad option for shorter corridor trains but quite a disappointment for overnight sleeper routes. Lots of passenger grumbling. Fellow passenger sporting a hat that says “Save Amtrak, Fire Anderson” Box is eco friendly balsa wood and touted as same by paper insert.

(I have pix of the menu but unsure how to post here)
Was there any protein at all in that box breakfast? Where’s the beef, or more appropriately where’s the pork?
Golly, my dog eats better than this!

If they have to absolutely drop all the protein, a bowl of Kellogg’s or Post cereals flooded with ice cold milk served with a whole fruit would make a better tasting breakfast!
There's protein in Yogurt, and Granola. Enough for a balanced diet, your not going to die , or even feel sick from a lack of meat. It sounds better than the Amtrak dining car continental breakfast option. As Ryanov says , people who cant eat wheat or dairy may have a problem , but they generally are hard done by everywhere.
 #1475706  by electricron

David Benton wrote: There's protein in Yogurt, and Granola. Enough for a balanced diet, your not going to die , or even feel sick from a lack of meat. It sounds better than the Amtrak dining car continental breakfast option. As Ryanov says , people who cant eat wheat or dairy may have a problem , but they generally are hard done by everywhere.
At least I can order eggs and bacon in a traditional dining car, with some real protein.

Diabetics should reduce the amount of grains (carbohydrates) consumed, and this new Amtrak breakfast box meal contains mostly grains. The only exception for protein is the yogurt, which is made of milk and bacteria. But here's the rub, most commercial yogurts packaged and sold in America have tons of sugars added for flavor. So diabetics and lactose intolerant will not be able to eat it.
The only thing many will be able to eat in that box breakfast will be the slices of fruit, and I don't consider that a meal more than a snack.
 #1475803  by Backshophoss

With NS and CSX not able to create a slot for 448, and of course missed the connection at Albany,
got word from a friend that 400 passengers off that train were "shoehorned" into a Empire service train to GCT,
said train was SRO all the way in to GCT.
It might be wise to have a set of Amfleet coaches at Albany as a protect set till Sept 06.
Am well aware that the "railbird"(horse bettors) migration to Saratoga Springs is about to happen.
 #1477268  by mgdemarco

On the LSL now in Worcester heading to Boston. What explains the need to go past Worcester station and then back in?
 #1477277  by nomis

Most likely there was a conflicting route lined to-from the P&W on the north side of Worcester station, or some sort of switch failure. Considering you arrived, per the amtrak app, not much later than the T train leaving, CSX wanted you off of their territory and the station track wasn’t available for Amtrak yet.
 #1477450  by johnpbarlow

twropr wrote:Is the LSL still running only nine cars?
Andy
Believe so as generally only 2 sleepers are used so consist is usually baggage car, 4 coaches, dinette, Viewdiner, and two Viewliner sleepers. On one occasion I did see three sleepers in a consist at Wellesley, MA.
 #1477455  by bostontrainguy

johnpbarlow wrote:
twropr wrote:Is the LSL still running only nine cars?
Andy
Believe so as generally only 2 sleepers are used so consist is usually baggage car, 4 coaches, dinette, Viewdiner, and two Viewliner sleepers. On one occasion I did see three sleepers in a consist at Wellesley, MA.
Trains magazine is mentioning a 2 for 1 BOGO sale on roomettes (2 people for the price of 1 in each roomette) that Amtrak is having this summer. They say that the Lake Shore roomettes are mostly sold out for the summer. It could definitely need a third sleeper.
 #1477467  by gokeefe

bostontrainguy wrote:They say that the Lake Shore roomettes are mostly sold out for the summer. It could definitely need a third sleeper.
Is that normal? I can't recall summer ridership being that good.
 #1477570  by bratkinson

Since the temporary loss of the New York section of 48/49, I've been wondering why, essentially, the baggage car, 2 coaches and 1 sleeper that was the Boston section are no longer part of the train. As I recall, last summer, the combined 48/49 west of Albany had 4 coaches from NYP and 2 from BOS and 3 sleepers...2 from NYP and 1 from BOS.

Certainly having fewer cars than prior year consists saves $$ due to fuel, wear & tear, and payroll. But at the same time, it makes getting a seat or a roomette almost impossible this summer. It also has the effect of driving prices up to get more revenue.

The only reasonable conclusion I can come up with for the 'loss' of 3 revenue cars is that platform length in Boston won't handle more than 8-9 cars, especially if behind 2 locomotives when pulling in. The times I've entered Boston on an 8 car (usual size) regional train, the business class car is almost at the end of the platform, and that's with a single electric locomotive up front and no baggage car.

Any other ideas why the Lakeshore Ltd isn't running with the full complement of cars?
 #1477581  by Backshophoss

Any "spare cars" are on the Silver service to Fl,with the "Starvation"getting the "extra" Sleeper