Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1485741  by farecard

ryanov wrote:You mean Cardinal. Capitol is always out of DC.

And the Capitol Ltd has no diner...
 #1485911  by BAR

A friend is travelling on the LSL from SDY to Chicago and return and would like to know the configuration of the train. He has walking problems and he would like to know how far the Boston sleeper (his tickets read 448 and 449) will be from the dining car and café car. Any help appreciated and thanks.

BAR
 #1485988  by Greg Moore

In the past, the Boston section has been put on the head of the train at Albany and the NYP sleepers and diner and cafe are at the rear of the train.

If he can, he might want to change his tickets.
 #1486001  by BAR

Greg,
Thanks very much for the info. I will forward your suggestion to him.
BAR
 #1486122  by electricron

They can, but that does not answer the question that was asked?
Not everyone wants to eat their dinner in their room. You can count on me choosing to dine in the dinner or cafe.
 #1486150  by bratkinson

Two weeks ago, when I last rode the LSL - now restored to it's usual configuration (split/joined at ALB) - the Boston section is in the front, and the NY section in the rear. The consist was 448/449 BOS (Baggage, Sleeper, Cafe/BC, 2 coaches), 48/49 NYP (4 coaches, diner AKA first class lounge car, 2 sleepers, baggage). I suspect the 4th coach to/from NYP is, by now, gone until the holidays.
 #1486182  by BAR

bratkinson,

Thanks very much for the LSL configuration which I will send to my friend. Exactly what he wanted to know.

BAR
 #1488322  by twropr

On Oct 12 there was a derailment of Q263 near North Byron, NY that disrupted CSX's Rochester Sub. MAPLE LEAF #64 apparently ran east after being held just east of Rochester for over six hours but #49 was annulled in its entirety.
 #1488333  by Railjunkie

twropr wrote:On Oct 12 there was a derailment of Q263 near North Byron, NY that disrupted CSX's Rochester Sub. MAPLE LEAF #64 apparently ran east after being held just east of Rochester for over six hours but #49 was annulled in its entirety.

Train and a lowboy got together. Didnt hear anything else was just walking out of rules class
 #1494608  by twropr

Can anyone remember approx. when Amtrak attempted to discontinue trains 448/449? I seem to remember that NY and MA raised a fuss, which resulted in Amtrak keeping the train.
Thanks!
Andy
 #1494623  by Arborwayfan

That was in winter or spring 1997. They got so far as to sell tickets on the buses for a while.

A kind of funny story:
Sometime in the spring of 1997 I made a reservation Champaign-Chi on the CONO, Chi-NYP on the Three Rivers (via Pittsburgh and Philly, lots of mail cars), NYP-BOS unreserved or reserved on the night train, and then back BOS-NYP-CHI-CHM via the Lakeshore Ltd. When the plan to bustitute was cancelled, Amtrak helpfully changed my reservation to Lakeshore in both directions. So kind, really, to think about that. But I wanted to ride the Three Rivers and I had dinner plans with a friend in New York. I did get that part of the reservation put back, but they had to override the software that wanted to charge me a lot extra to "change" my reservation back to what I'd asked for. But they did change it to what I'd wanted, and in 99% of cases what they did initially would have been right.
 #1494698  by jp1822

If it was 1997, you were likely booked in a Heritage Sleeper (if taking sleeper class) on the Three Rivers section of the trip, and no "dining car." Delays also abounded with the M&E at the time with this train. Where possible, Amtrak wanted passengers on the Lake Shore Limited as the preferred Midwest to East Coast train being it had superior sleeping cars and Amfleet II coaches (the brand new Viewliners) and had full service dining cars at the time, contrary to the Three Rivers, which they viewed as having sub par onboard amenities. To each there own though! The Three Rivers, with said onboard amenities, was cheaper to travel on than the Lake Shore though!