Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#554354  by jhdeasy

Here are some PV photo opportunities later this month for those of you who want to see something "different":

Tuesday July 22: OLIVER HAZARD PERRY, CLT to WAS on 80; CARITAS, CIMARRON RIVER and ROYAL STREET, CHI to CIN on 50

Wednesday July 23: MOUNT VERNON, NYP to CIN on 51; OLIVER HAZARD PERRY, WAS to CIN on 51

Friday July 25: NS inspection special train, NS freight power with 10 PVs, Cincinnati to Chattanooga.

Sunday July 27: NS inspection special train, NS freight power with 10 PVs, Chattanooga to Cincinnati.

Monday July 28: CARITAS, CIMARRON RIVER, ROYAL STREET and MOUNT VERNON, CIN to CHI on 51.

Tuesday July 29: MOUNT VERNON, CHI to WAS on 30

Saturday August 2: MOUNT VERNON, WAS to NNS to WAS, on 67 and 66

Sunday August 3: MOUNT VERNON, WAS to NYP on 20
 #554665  by mtuandrew

jhdeasy wrote:Here are some PV photo opportunities later this month for those of you who want to see something "different":

Tuesday July 22: OLIVER HAZARD PERRY, CLT to WAS on 80; CARITAS, CIMARRON RIVER and ROYAL STREET, CHI to CIN on 50

Wednesday July 23: MOUNT VERNON, NYP to CIN on 51; OLIVER HAZARD PERRY, WAS to CIN on 51

Friday July 25: NS inspection special train, NS freight power with 10 PVs, Cincinnati to Chattanooga.

Sunday July 27: NS inspection special train, NS freight power with 10 PVs, Chattanooga to Cincinnati.

Monday July 28: CARITAS, CIMARRON RIVER, ROYAL STREET and MOUNT VERNON, CIN to CHI on 51.

Tuesday July 29: MOUNT VERNON, CHI to WAS on 30

Saturday August 2: MOUNT VERNON, WAS to NNS to WAS, on 67 and 66

Sunday August 3: MOUNT VERNON, WAS to NYP on 20
If you happen to be in the Twin Cities, Caritas, Gritty Palace, and one of the Milwaukee obs cars (I believe Cedar Rapids) are very often positioned at Midway Station. If Cedar Rapids isn't there, check out the Milwaukee Road 261's facility in Minneapolis.
 #556351  by DutchRailnut

Corridor Clipper on tail end of 174 ?? at 130 pm east out of New Rochelle.
Also the pointless arrow logo Amfleet on Amtrak 94 at 19: 08 third car on Amtrak 94
 #557211  by jscola30

This evening as my commuter train was wandering through the yards just out of South Station, I saw what looked like equipment for the 645? Regional train backing in. At the head were two AME7s and a switcher.
 #557243  by hi55us

DutchRailnut wrote:Corridor Clipper on tail end of 174 ?? at 130 pm east out of New Rochelle.
Also the pointless arrow logo Amfleet on Amtrak 94 at 19: 08 third car on Amtrak 94
I believe that amtrak keeps the logo on that car so that they can keep the copyright
 #557974  by GOLDEN-ARM

I took a quick peek, and didn't see anything about it, so.... When I went on duty yesterday, for Train 28 at PDX, there was a private car sitting on Track 3, beside my train. I popped a quick pic, with my phone. It's NYC-3, the "Empire State Express". Not sure where it's headed yet, but I wouldn't mind dragging it to Pasco. Here's a poor photo I took, on 7-18-08 at 16:30 hours. Regards... :wink:

#558379  by John_Perkowski

Some information on NYC # 3, since she is so far off home rails...

http://www.aaprco.com/cgi/cars/cardisplay.pl?nyc3:type

http://www.nyc-3.com/
 #558666  by GOLDEN-ARM

I guess the RailGods were smiling on me. I got to PDX yesterday, and there was the NYC-3, tacked onto the hind-end of the 28, waiting for us to run it to PSC. She's moving to Whitefish, Mt., for a vacation, according to the weighbills that accompanied it. We departed PDX at 16:45 with the 137 doing the honors. Arrival at PSC at 21:04 was close enough to OT. here's a couple of phone pics......
a look from the cab, eastbound on 3 trk. The Coast Starlight is departing on 5 trk (on the right) and there's a Cascade Talgo sitting beside us, on track 2. (on the left)

head end shot, AMTK 137. sorry about quality, shadows of sheds.....

Markers on NYC-3, bringing up the rear of eastbound #28. (shot directly into sun..... :( )
 #559068  by jscola30

LSL pulled in to Boston tonight a half hour EARLY with Great Northern Private Car, the City of Spokane. Also earlier in the evening around 8pm as I was entering the South Station area on a commuter train, a Genesis with one Amfleet car was leaving the station. Couldn't see if it was bound towards Back Bay (maybe eventually going to North Station/BET via Grand Jct.) or the yard.
 #559491  by GOLDEN-ARM

Had another PV this morning. This time, it was the Budd Dome Car "Sierra Hotel". Came in on the 27, and was sitting on spot, in PDX when I left this morning. Will add a shot, shortly. :-D
 #559913  by hi55us

jscola30 wrote:LSL pulled in to Boston tonight a half hour EARLY with Great Northern Private Car, the City of Spokane. Also earlier in the evening around 8pm as I was entering the South Station area on a commuter train, a Genesis with one Amfleet car was leaving the station. Couldn't see if it was bound towards Back Bay (maybe eventually going to North Station/BET via Grand Jct.) or the yard.
Hey maybe they are adding a 6th car to the downeaster!
 #559914  by jscola30

I also could have sworn I saw the same thing again last night, a Genisis with one car. However, I saw it heading toward Back Bay, but not on the Boston and Albany side. Not sure about this. I should add that it looked like alot of people were getting off the LSL the other night.
 #560211  by jscola30

What and interesting week at South Station! As some of you, there was a derailment this morning blocking tracks 9-13. These may or may not be related to that.

There was a regional train I think was supposed to leave at 11:05ish (left late). It had a Genisis infront of the regular loco (that was cut off before it left). The best was tonight around quarter to ten. On one of the tracks, two yard switchers, one of the presumbable Metro North locos in New Haven scheme (not the F units, sorry I'm a steam guy), and a Genesis.