Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1535401  by njtmnrrbuff

I haven't ridden the Downeaster since 2013 but from what I have heard, Wells sees healthy enough ridership to have the platform lengthened. The station, though, probably not within super easy reach of any downtown area, is extremely close to 95. For a person who might live in the Kennebunkport or Ogunquit who wants to head to Boston-Wells is the closest stop to them. The Wells Station is probably very close to many campgrounds.
 #1535427  by gokeefe

This is not platform lengthening ... Just to be clear this is a brand new platform with a pedestrian bridge (with two elevator and stair towers) for access. I would guess NNEPRA is loath to touch the existing mini high as it might trigger requirements to bring it up to the FRAs current interpretation of the ADA requirement.

I understand the previous post may have been making a suggestion for the future but thought others might interpret it as suggesting the grant will be changing the existing facility.

Wells really has come a long way in the past few years and last I knew had also added a Greyhound stop. It has been pleasing to see this facility finally reaching closer to its full potential as a transformative investment in the local economy.
 #1535438  by Dick H

In FY2017 Wells had 68,752 passengers. In FY2018, Wells had 56,898 passengers which averages out to nearly a 1,000 decrease.
per month,

Seems strange. I am unaware of any tourism or other travel issue affecting southern York County that might have been a factot.
 #1535444  by gokeefe

I had noticed the same unusual increase. The bus bridge in place for a period of time during FY 2017 apparently had an effect on the numbers.

56,898 is still a very respectable number for an intermediate station stop on this route.
 #1535447  by Backshophoss

Why does this siding extension at Wells fell like this siding will turn into a PAR freight parking spot due to "dead on law" T&E crew.
Might be a good idea to install a universal X-over at the 1.5 or 2 mile point on the siding and mainline.
Also as a freight route,flipable platform edges are planned here?
 #1535454  by Cowford

In reply to someone's comment about ridership averages a few posts back, as the old saying goes "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics".
Being that "someone" that "somebody" referred to, let me state that that "somebody" has totally missed the point. Yeah, stick one foot in boiling water and one foot in ice water and, on average, you should be pretty comfortable. We get it. But "somebody" is missing the overriding point: NNEPRA had justified the BRU extension based forecasted new ridership - not incremental ridership. No NEW ridership has developed.
Obviously passenger counts are important, but if they are used as a basis for operational decisions, they need to be carefully considered in the context of probably dozens of factors that determine ridership.
Interesting. What are these dozens of factors besides passenger counts that determine ridership? Passenger counts ARE ridership.
 #1535770  by BandA

johnpbarlow wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:54 am Federal agency grants Downeaster $17 million for upgrades

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/02/27/ ... kmMq0P_4h4
Six miles of new track, pedestrian bridge with (two?) elevators, and a full-high platform (how long?) for $17M. How much would the same facility be in Massachusetts?

It was my understanding that ADA requires "reasonable accommodation", but in Massachusetts the state requires HP access to each exit, platform, door, etc regardless of whether it is reasonable.

Is there separate ADA money for ADA related projects or do ADA & unrelated projects compete for the same pool?
 #1535773  by gokeefe

Amtrak has a separate funding pool within their capital budget for ADA improvements at stations they own. To the best of my knowledge ADA upgrades at state or locally owned facilities are not usually paid for out of this pool.

There are no specific federal grant programs which I am aware of solely for ADA compliance upgrades. However, there are a variety of different funding options available which have a consistent history of funding ADA upgrades. States may very well have their own programs including general capital funding programs that prioritize ADA upgrades.

I would also note that the Wells facility "as is" was built ADA compliant from Day 1. That being said it seems likely it would not be allowed to be built in the same configuration today.
 #1535882  by johnpbarlow

Amtrak weighs in on CP acquisition of CMQ (note that Amtrak thinks very highly of CP's Amtrak performance in the midwest):
...The parties have been working towards the restoration of intercity passenger rail service over the Rockland Branch starting in the Summer of 2020. To help facilitate the continued planning for this service, Amtrak respectfully requests the Board's expedited review of this minor transaction. Should the Board approve the transaction, Amtrak looks forward to working with Soo Line to advance this seasonal service.
https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 300462.pdf
 #1535942  by mtuandrew

Yup, as long as Amtrak doesn’t have a mechanical fault westbound or get stuffed by BNSF eastbound, CP dispatchers try to give them the railroad. As long as Maine’s DOT is a good partner, the Rockland Branch is in good hands.
 #1536577  by Rockingham Racer

Good news from the FRA about the Wells area improvements. A grant for:

Up to $16,867,281
Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority:
Constructs a new intercity passenger rail platform at the Wells Transportation Center and a
pedestrian bridge to access the new platform, and extends an existing two-mile Pan Am Railway
siding to become a six-mile siding adjacent to the new platform in Wells, Maine.
 #1536578  by swist

I would presume the siding will be extended southwards? There is a lot of nothing (woods) between North Berwick and Wells. I think only one (or maybe two at most) bridges in that segment. I don't recall if the spans are long enough without rebuilding, but given that was all two-track territory a ways back, the bridges might be fine.

Any idea when this will happen? Are there more hurdles?