Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1533493  by gokeefe

Trinnau wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:04 pmOn the other hand, the old B&M was historically a right-hand running railroad. Maybe they're just sticking to that?
Although I'm sure the B&M executives on Causeway Street in Boston would have given their last nickel to own the rails past Portland such was never to be the case.

"The Pine Tree Route" (Maine Central) has operated those tracks since it was formed in 1862. Today of course the corporate parent is Pan Am Railways.
 #1533495  by gokeefe

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:25 pm We'll know very soon about what will replace the Amfleets. That includes what will be running on the Downeaster after the Amfleets, P42s, and F40 Cabbage cars are retired. The Chargers would be great for the Downeaster route especially for the sake of acceleration.
NNEPRA leases whatever is available from Amtrak. Unless that changes you won't see Chargers until Amtrak procures them for the national pool. That being said "less than 5 years" might be realistic for such an acquisition to occur. If announced within the next 6 months it could be within the next 3 years.

Personally I would rather see replacement of the Amfleet cars before anything else. Those windows do no justice whatsoever to the view.
 #1533558  by markhb

Are the Metroliners still in service? ISTR that the Downeaster started with those until they were recalled to fill in during the Acela brake debacle, and they were acclaimed in articles about the service. Unfortunately I never got to ride in them.
 #1533559  by Jeff Smith

markhb wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:13 am Are the Metroliners still in service? ISTR that the Downeaster started with those until they were recalled to fill in during the Acela brake debacle, and they were acclaimed in articles about the service. Unfortunately I never got to ride in them.
They are now de-motored, and what remains are used as cab cars on the Springfield line, and I believe Harrisburg.
 #1533619  by Dick H

I do not recall that the Downeaster ever used anything but a cabbage on one end and a loco on the other, or a loco on each end from Day #1, December 15th, 2001.
 #1533631  by Backshophoss

The Metroliner cab cars Never made it north of Boston.
FRA was not happy with the Metroliner cab cars at grade crossings,most of the cab cars were on the San Diegans back when the first NPCU
left Beech Grove.
 #1533661  by markhb

I'm sorry, I wasn't referring to the Metroliners being used for power. My understanding was that they were used as the original passenger cars for the Downeaster, and were swapped out for regular Amfleets when the Acela issues happened. That was the use case I was wondering about, if they're still around being used anywhere in that context.
 #1533682  by MEC407

Yes, that is correct. The non-cab-car ex-Metroliners were indeed used on the Downeaster in the beginning, and they were removed from the Downeaster when Amtrak needed them on the corridor during the Acela problem. I can verify this from personal experience, as I rode in them on many occasions. They had extra leg room, foot rests, curtains, and Railfones. I have photos (well, I have slides and negatives) somewhere.
 #1533709  by ExCon90

And when operating on the San Diegans they blew by two important grade crossings in Carlsbad at 90 mph (ATS in service), and I don't think there was ever a collision there. People knew those trains were fast, and they stayed clear.
 #1533723  by Cosakita18

The days of the P42's and Amfleet's are numbered. It will be interesting to see what Amtrak comes up with for a fleet-wide replacement. Personally I love the Siemens coaches used on Brightline trains. I think something like a Brightline trainset would be perfect for the DE.
 #1533729  by shadyjay

MEC407 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 pm Yes, that is correct. The non-cab-car ex-Metroliners were indeed used on the Downeaster in the beginning, and they were removed from the Downeaster when Amtrak needed them on the corridor during the Acela problem. I can verify this from personal experience, as I rode in them on many occasions. They had extra leg room, foot rests, curtains, and Railfones. I have photos (well, I have slides and negatives) somewhere.
I think there is some confusion between the ex-Metroliners and the cab cars, etc.
The original 1960s-era Metroliners were self-propelled electric MU cars. They resemble what is today's Amfleet. In the late 1970s/early 1980s, the Metroliners were replaced with "Metroliner Service" which consisted of Amfleet cars pulled by then-new AEM-7 electric locomotives. As the years went on, the "Metroliner Service" Amfleet coaches were upgraded, including increasing seat pitch/space between seats, curtains, footrests, etc. I rode in one back in 1998 on the Vermonter. It was really nice and still had the old red/orange seats at the time, which were very plush and comfortable. Exterior-wise, the Metroliner Service cars looked just like the Amfleets, but did carry "Metroliner Service" livery under Phase III paint.

As the Metroliner Service Amfleet coaches replaced the original self-propelled Metroliners, they were repurposed elsewhere. Many were converted to cab cars, which still operate today in Hartford Line and Keystone services. A handful were rebuilt for service in Michigan. One was converted to a conference car (which still is available for charter, and is the last car to display "Metroliner" on its sides).

Hope that eliminates some of the confusion. What is now the cab cars were the original Metroliners. I don't believe those ever ran on the Downeaster. What is more likely to have run on the DE is the Metroliner Service coaches. Since the time of the last ACELA problem, I don't believe any of those Metroliner Service coaches even exist in that form anymore, as this roster http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtk-roster-cars.shtml no longer lists them, most likely they've all been converted to standard "Regional" coaches.
 #1533734  by njtmnrrbuff

I think Amtrak should consider buying cars that are based off of the design of the ones on Brightline. The same types of trainsets that are used on Brightline should be used not only on the Downeaster trains, but Amtrak's eastern corridor and eastern long distance operations in general.
 #1533735  by TomNelligan

The message above from Mr. Shadyjay summarizes the situation accurately. The original Metroliners of the late 1960s were electric MUs that never ran on the Downeaster. However in their early days the Downeasters ran with relocated "Metroliner Service" coaches that were basically refurbished Amfleet II long distance equipment. They were definitely more spacious and generally classier than the standard Amcoaches assigned now.