Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1527962  by gokeefe

The Board briefing materials for December have been posted. Extensive number of Executive Session items involving real estate and a lot of discussion about a main line location in the public session notes. Very noteworthy to see real estate negotiations with Pan Am although that might be related to Wells. NNEPRA is submitting a CRISI grant which based on position in agenda appears to be related to Wells.
 #1528252  by andrewjw

MEC407 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:48 pm My Google Maps mobile app wouldn't tell me how fast we were going [can anyone recommend a free mobile app that does that?]. I don't want to put anyone at risk by guesstimating our speed but it felt reeeeeally slow between Mountain Junction and Park Ave and I think that's where we lost a lot of our time. There were also a couple of noticeable slowdowns that I think were near Yarmouth Junction and Royal Junction, but I can't swear to it.
Check out GPS Test by Chartcross Limited for this. It even works in airplane mode - so you can use it on a plane.
 #1528286  by markhb

MEC407 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:48 pm My Google Maps mobile app wouldn't tell me how fast we were going [can anyone recommend a free mobile app that does that?]. I don't want to put anyone at risk by guesstimating our speed but it felt reeeeeally slow between Mountain Junction and Park Ave and I think that's where we lost a lot of our time. There were also a couple of noticeable slowdowns that I think were near Yarmouth Junction and Royal Junction, but I can't swear to it.
I like GPS Status. Get the free one; I've never paid for the upgrade.
 #1528682  by MEC407

There's also a good deal for the month of January: all trains are $15 or less. Boston to Portland for $15 is a steal, and Boston to Freeport or Brunswick for $15... well heck, at that price you can't afford NOT to go! :-D

https://amtrakdowneaster.com/deal/15-fares-january-0
 #1528714  by MEC407

markhb wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:02 am
troffey wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:49 pm Does anyone know off hand when the CM&Q/CP lease for the Rockland Branch runs until?
Until CP realizes they bought operating rights to a 60 mile disconnected branch line with a handful of customers? (The irony of the Rockland Branch being run by a Class I operator amuses me no end.)
Interestingly and perhaps a bit surprisingly, this is what CP had to say about the Rockland Branch in its STB filing:
"...As to the Rockford [sic - should be Rockland] subdivision, a non-contiguous line to the rest of the CMQR, the immediate intent will be to maintain the present services between Rockland, ME and Brunswick ME. Changes will be considered in the event of a significant change in the volume of interchange traffic with Springfield Terminal/Pan-Am at Brunswick, or a change in the Amtrak agreement...The only passenger service operating on lines owned or operated by CMQR is the Amtrak service operating on the Rockland subdivision. Amtrak terminates at the Brunswick Terminal at the west end of the line and does not operate over the line. The Rockland line is owned by the State of Maine, and CMQR is under contract to operate and maintain the track between Brunswick, ME and Rockland, ME. There are no plans to make any changes to the operations or management of the Rockland operation that would alter Amtrak's future ability to operate..."
 #1528718  by gokeefe

We can now also say the "Rockland Branch" is the "Rockland Subdivision". Sounds like an upgrade. :-D

I'm happy to see that CP intends to keep service on the "Rockland Subdivision" "as is".
 #1529507  by highrail

I finally got a chance to ride the extended trip to Brunswick yesterday. Took the 681 from Haverhill North to Brunswick, and the 686 South from Brunswick back to Haverhill. Overall, great trip, and a special thanks to 2 great crews on both trips. Great customer service, and they were helpful to all. To the conductor on the 686, who won the heart of the little girl by getting a photo of her while she tried on your conductor hat, thanks for showing yourself to be a great guy.
I tried a breakfast sandwich and coffee on the am trip, and it was actually pretty good!
At Brunswick, the station staff, who are not Amtrak personnel, were also great. I asked how the ridership numbers were doing...great was the answer...noting that the earlier inbound trip was sold out. Both legs of my trip were pretty full. There was some discussion of the possible extension to Rockland, but nothing firm at this point...MAYBE a late summer excursion trial in 2020.
A little bit of a hiccup on Northbound trip as the train arrived in Haverhill on the Southbound side, but the engineer carefully stopped in plenty of time to allow everyone to cross in front of the engine to board on the other side. This could have been tricky, but it was handled well.

Steve
 #1529516  by gokeefe

Nice to see you had a good trip. What you described is the standard Amtrak, NNEPRA, volunteers with TrainRiders Northeast and others strive towards everyday on board and at the stations along the route of the Downeaster. Amtrak corporate is well aware this route is "special" and has a lot of respect for the overall operation.
 #1529518  by swist

The Haverhill station is just plain weird - never know what side the trains are coming on of if you have to cross the tracks. And like Woburn, it's all about the MBTA, no info whatsoever on Amtrak trains. North Station, being the other MA station shared with the MBTA is only marginally better. At least Amtrak trains show up on the boards and have announcements, but they're always "on time", coming or going.. So if someone shows up to meet someone off a late train, it will have disappeared off the board as soon as its scheduled arrival time passes and you have nothing. At least there's a manned window for info. Not so in WOB or HHL.