Railroad Forums 

• Illinois Amtrak Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1490584  by CHTT1

Now that the voters of Illinois have kicked out Bruce Rauner, perhaps the Rockford train proposals will be revived. Hopefully, new governor J.B. Pritzker will get IDOT to complete the Chicago-St. Louis high speed project.
 #1490638  by Station Aficionado

CHTT1 wrote:Now that the voters of Illinois have kicked out Bruce Rauner, perhaps the Rockford train proposals will be revived. Hopefully, new governor J.B. Pritzker will get IDOT to complete the Chicago-St. Louis high speed project.
Of perhaps more immediate interest, will the Quad Cities service move closer to reality? I believe the Moline station is complete, but trackwork on IAIS needs to be done, along with the connection to BNSF at Wyanet.
 #1490658  by Roadgeek Adam

Don't forget Geneseo station. Regardless, I'd prioritize the nearly finished Moline service.
 #1490715  by Anthony

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Don't forget Geneseo station. Regardless, I'd prioritize the nearly finished Moline service.
Yes, and after the Quad Cities service is operational, THEN the state can focus on bringing service to Rockford. The advisory referendum showing support for passenger rail service to Rockford passed with flying colors - almost 80% voted "YES" on it. So that tells the state that Rockford badly wants service. Governor-elect JB Pritzker says that he'll seek federal funds to pay for the majority of the capital startup costs of a Rockford service.
 #1491336  by eolesen

Illinois can't even properly fund Metra, so what makes anyone think they'd be able to start something new to Rockford and Dubuque?...

Best bet would have been to cut a deal with Metra to extend service beyond Big Timber on the UP to Rockford, but that will never happen due to the politics involved.
 #1491741  by Station Aficionado

ryanch wrote:On the Quad Cities and Rockford/Dubuque services, ask and you shall receive:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/col ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Receive news, that is. You're not going to receive the new services any time soon.
Well, good to know that folks are still thinking about these services. Nothing will happen before Pritzker gets his team in place, but suspect the lobbying has begun.
 #1491748  by F40CFan

CHTT1 wrote:Now that the voters of Illinois have kicked out Bruce Rauner, perhaps the Rockford train proposals will be revived. Hopefully, new governor J.B. Pritzker will get IDOT to complete the Chicago-St. Louis high speed project.
Don't hold your breath. Madigan's minions have had a veto-proof majority for ages and you can see what has gotten done. Having his "boy" in the governor's mansion will just help him bankrupt the state further.
 #1491772  by CHTT1

Why would Madigan oppose rail improvements? Illinois runs a lot of state-subsidized trains. He obviously hasn't opposed them in the past. Rauner tried to blame all the state's problems on Madigan (who has way too much power and needs to retire), but Rauner's "my way or the highway" approach to government didn't work.
 #1491832  by eolesen

Madigan could have approved funding for the Quinn announced Amtrak routes at any time during Rauner's tenure.

He didn't.

ILL has a spending problem and a liability problem. Those issues have to be addressed before anything Jumbo campaigned on can be fulfilled, and he's already promised money to education, Medicare, roads and bridges.

No mention of trains, nor do I expect there to be other than Metra.

The reality is that Jumbo only has to keep Chicago happy in order to get re-elected. The Quad Cities and Rockford won't get any attention until his re-election campaign fires up.
 #1491853  by F40CFan

Well put, thank you.

I just rode the Lincoln Service to St. Louis and back to see a hockey game. Went Business Class. Very nice. I still don't understand why they didn't keep the 110 mph segment in operation. Oh well, maybe some day.
 #1493012  by CHTT1

eolesen wrote:Madigan could have approved funding for the Quinn announced Amtrak routes at any time during Rauner's tenure.

He didn't.

ILL has a spending problem and a liability problem. Those issues have to be addressed before anything Jumbo campaigned on can be fulfilled, and he's already promised money to education, Medicare, roads and bridges.

No mention of trains, nor do I expect there to be other than Metra.

The reality is that Jumbo only has to keep Chicago happy in order to get re-elected. The Quad Cities and Rockford won't get any attention until his re-election campaign fires up.
"Jumbo" Very classy, eolesen. Nothing like bring a discussion down to the gutter.
 #1493036  by Jeff Smith

ADMIN: We tend to use derisive names for politicians we don’t like for whatever reason we don’t like them. I generally disregard, but before it goes any farther here, let’s leave such further usage on the sidelines please.