Railroad Forums 

• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#63283  by crazy_nip

They can't sell any to U.S. railroads, and VIA seems to have their fill of them, and with the current SURPLUS at Amtrak, I would think not

#63306  by AmtrakFan

Now with no M & E Dave Gunn is running 3 & 4 with 2 Locomotives over Raton HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What if you have one fail going up?

AmtrakFan

#63316  by Nasadowsk

Amtrak's got more diesel than they know what to do with. They need, and have needed for years, more electrics.

#63317  by hsr_fan

I don't see how Amtrak could have a shortage of electrics. Consider the situation now vs. five years ago. Amtrak now has 20 Acela Express sets, so the Metroliner runs that Acela replaced should free up electrics. Amtrak retired the 13 remaining E60's, but acquired 15 HHP-8 locomotives. Five years ago, Amtrak had 52 AEM-7's, and today they have 51 (#913 was scrapped). With NJ Transit taking over the Clockers, that should also free up some electric power.

#63319  by octr202

hsr_fan wrote:I don't see how Amtrak could have a shortage of electrics. Consider the situation now vs. five years ago. Amtrak now has 20 Acela Express sets, so the Metroliner runs that Acela replaced should free up electrics. Amtrak retired the 13 remaining E60's, but acquired 15 HHP-8 locomotives. Five years ago, Amtrak had 52 AEM-7's, and today they have 51 (#913 was scrapped). With NJ Transit taking over the Clockers, that should also free up some electric power.
But...electrics are running all the way to Boston now, instead of being turned at New Haven to head back south. Also, the number of regional trains to New England is up.

#63372  by Robert Paniagua

I feel that Amtrak may have a chance to increse their current P42DC engine order to have at least 50 more (208-257) to at least replace the P40s which weren't reliable to Amtrak. The P42s, AFAIC about them, should be more reliable that the P40s, and some of the new P42DCs could be used on NEC and long haul service as well.

#63373  by Rail4Life

If they add 50 more will they utilize the GEVO plant and AC Technology this time or would they continue to use DC traction.

#63374  by DutchRailnut

Dream all you want AMTRAK is NOT ordering any passeger lovcomotives, non are budgeted in next 3 year budget other than switchers.
 #63400  by Tom Curtin

A reponse for those surprised at the assertion that Amtrak is short of electrics: the best evidence to support that assertion is the continuing use of diesels between Philly and Harrisburg.

Also, I understand at least some --- or is it all? --- trains bound from New York to points in the south change from electric to diesel at Philly, not Washington.
 #63404  by jp1822

No - they are back to switching engines at Washington DC - not Philly. Harrisburg to Philly is still diesel - occasional electric is run, but far from being the norm.

#63443  by John_Perkowski

Paging Nellie Bly...

Assuming roughly equal horsepower, drawbar pull, acceleration, and deceleration...

At this time (2004), are there operational or cost advantages, aside from infrastructure, in running Diesel or Electric?

For the rest of us: What is economic should govern Amtrak, not what we think is "nice."

Thanks in advance.

John Perkowski

#63471  by mlrr

I have a question,

Someone suggested a while back that GE locos have about 20 year lifespan (on average), the AMD-103 is already half way there I think. I think they entered service in 1993/94. The P40 is anyway.

Do you think maybe the AMD-103 would be shelved until such time comes where the old locos will be replaced, or would it be cheaper to re-build them like the AEM7 were re-built?(I doubt that too seeing how Amtrak shelved that idea for the time being)

If 20 years is the lifespan, then the maintenence costs are going to go through the roof after that time right?

#63555  by Olton Hall

Part of the reason Amtrak has an electric loco shortage is that so many are sitting around awaiting repair. Last year I read it was around 37% of the AEM-7's were out of service.

#63559  by crazy_nip

Robert Paniagua wrote:I feel that Amtrak may have a chance to increse their current P42DC engine order to have at least 50 more (208-257) to at least replace the P40s which weren't reliable to Amtrak.

I must disagree as Amtrak has too many diesels right now.

The P40's were not unreliable, that is not why they are sitting idle.