Railroad Forums 

• Train v. Plane - New York Times

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1520792  by STrRedWolf

This is more of a well reasoned article, stepping through the data and showing... well, it does depend on your intentions. Short trips, the train is good and saves money. Going longer though, and you have to weigh your options.

Here's an example. I use the Pennsylvanian as my switch point. From Baltimore's BWI Airport, is it farther than Pittsburgh when you take in all travel?

Why? Because BWI to PGH is 8-ish hours, mostly mucking about past Harrisburg even though I have a layover in Philly 30th street. It ends right in the city and it's an easy walk to the hotel. Plus, I can do stuff while the train's moving!

Meanwhile, BWI to PGH by Southwest is more expensive by at least $30, I have to get there two hours in advance, the flight's 45 minutes, it takes another 30 to get the bags, and another 40 minutes (if I'm lucky to have perfect timing) to catch the 28X into the city itself. That's five hours, with about maybe 30 minutes of proper productivity time.

BWI to Chicago Union Station? No matter what I choose, it's an overnighter at least $300 on Amtrak, while a direct-to-Chicago, 1 hour flight is at least $87. Getting to the hotel in Rosemount will be a 45 minute difference for the same fare.
 #1520801  by Greg Moore

This article touches upon a concept I've mentioned to others, I call it "effective time."

I can effectively use my time on the train. I can read, work, etc. Sometimes even if say the train is 2 hours longer, I can work for 2 hours and basically pay for the train ride.
I'm not going to take a train to Denver from Albany, but to NYC, definitely and to DC, it varies on a number of factors.
 #1520838  by Tadman

Effective Time is a great concept. I try to explain it and many people think I have a hole in my head. My mother has no idea why I don't drive to Detroit. 3-4 hours of doing nothing versus 4-5 of working? It explains itself, and I think Amtrak should better communicate it.
 #1520873  by Arborwayfan

That's right, Greg and Tadman. Part of why I drive an hour and 20 minutes to take a 3.5 hour train ride to Chicago for conferences in the Loop instead of driving 3.5 or 4 hours from Terre Haute to the Loop.

Take one of our cars and text all you want!

[Picture of someone eating a burger while driving.] Bring your lunch on the train and eat with no hand on the wheel!

You can't text and drive, but you can work and ride.

(I'm no ad man, but you get the idea. :-D )
 #1520909  by David Benton

Just watching the Netflix doco on Bill Gates, the line that stuck in my head, "the only thing he can't buy more of is time".
One thing that may put business people off working on the train is lack of privacy, I can imagine there would be a market for compartments, or even business meeting room on the NEC at least.
 #1520955  by ExCon90

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm This article touches upon a concept I've mentioned to others, I call it "effective time."

I can effectively use my time on the train. I can read, work, etc. Sometimes even if say the train is 2 hours longer, I can work for 2 hours and basically pay for the train ride.
I'm not going to take a train to Denver from Albany, but to NYC, definitely and to DC, it varies on a number of factors.
Another element mentioned around the time the Metroliners were introduced was termed by the planners the "anxiety factor"--anxiety not about safety but rather that once aboard the train there are no concerns about traffic en route to the airport, time spent checking in (and this long before 9/11) for a possibly delayed departure, gate availability at the destination airport, and further congestion at destination. Once aboard the train you were on your way and able to get some work done without the interruptions involved in changing modes.
 #1520957  by Arborwayfan

I say this too often, but Amtrak could charge a higher fare for a reserved seat at a table, which might be a better use of diners than serving as sleeper pax lounges. Sell half a table for same price as a business-class seat. It wouldn't be total privacy for confidential work, but it would be plenty of space to spread out papers and such; I've shared a table with another paper-worker more than once. two or more pax travelling together could have a whole table to work at.
 #1520958  by Tadman

I'd pay that in a hearbeat. I bet Greg Moore, would, too. He has a thing for those pesky table lips... (having some fun here yall)
 #1520966  by umtrr-author

The comments on this piece referenced that the posted schedules are not always reality. Some were even savvy enough to mention "getting stuck behind freight trains."

Of course the same is true for flight delays... well, expect for the "stuck behind a freight train" part.

"Hello from the flight deck, we're currently number ninety-nine for takeoff..."
 #1520981  by Tadman

We waited for a gate for an hour last week at O'hare. It was utterly absurd.
 #1520982  by Tadman

We waited for a gate for an hour last week at O'hare. It was utterly absurd.