Railroad Forums 

• New stations built after Amtrak started

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1523680  by charlesriverbranch

gokeefe wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 pm The Downeaster stations are tricky. Although markhb rightly mentions Brunswick as a substantial new station it is located almost exactly in the place of the former Maine Central station site. The Freeport station likewise reuses real estate very close to where the "last call" was made by Maine Central on Labor Day weekend 59 years ago this September.

Portland is a relocation from the previous Union Station site nearby. Old Orchard Beach likewise is legacy or near legacy real estate. Same could be said of Saco. Wells on the other hand is definitely "new" and is sited for its proximity to the Maine Turnpike which was built some time after any station which may have served Wells at one time.

There is a proposal in the works for a West Falmouth station which to the best of my knowledge would indeed be "new" under the criteria of this topic (I'm assuming old flag stops dating back to the 1870s and 1880s don't count).

The New Hampshire stations are all near, in or next to their former Boston & Maine station sites. Likewise for Haverhill and Woburn as others noted. North Station never closed.
There was something I saw at Brunswick that made me suspect the former Maine Central station was on the other side of the tracks from the present Downeaster station.

The former Wells station still stands; it is a white wooden building a mile or so east of the new station, and on the other side of the track.

Dover NH is a block east of (and on the other side of the tracks from? I forget) the B&M station site.

Durham NH is, unless I am mistaken, the only ex-B&M station in use by the Downeaster. North Station in Boston was razed with the old Boston Garden, and the present station built adjacent to the former site.

Am I missing anything?
 #1523711  by gokeefe

Correct, Durham, NH is an old B&M station brought back in to service. I thought Dover was built on the old station site but I could be wrong. It is notable that the Dover station is an exact replica of the original B&M edition right down to the paint colors.