Railroad Forums 

• Rohr RTL III Turboliners: Status, Location, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#369351  by sixty-six

They dont look half bad on the inside.

#369456  by hsr_fan

Yeah, they were pretty nice! Such a tease...giving passengers these nice trains and then taking them away so quickly! :(

Here are a couple more...

RTL 3 cab

Business class (Is that wood on the floor?)

#369469  by bmichel5581

wow. cool. Thanks!

Looks like scrap sheets of plywood they put down so they didn't dirty up the carpet...

#369470  by sixty-six

Looks like the cramped cabin of a commuter jet!

#369553  by hsr_fan

jimzim66 wrote:Looks like the cramped cabin of a commuter jet!
I'd take the Turboliner over an Amfleet any day! I think they were perfect for the relatively short NYP - ALB run. I think they are too cramped for a long run like the Adirondack, but then so are the high density Amfleets that Amtrak currently uses on that run!

#369576  by sixty-six

Thanks for sharing! I had no idea they were so built up and nice looking on the inside.

#369629  by SimplySam

Yes these are very nice but keep in mind they are of the sets that were rebuilt to mimic the Acela Express interior. Prior to this rebuild, they resembled the 1970s Amfleet interior. IMHO, the only advantage of the turbo interior vs Amfleet/Horizons is the larger windows in the turbo. Alas, the current view from said windows is that of a boneyard.

#369637  by sixty-six

I really never followed the Turboliners before until now, but this rebuilt is off sitting in a storage yard never to see service again?

#369642  by hsr_fan

jimzim66 wrote:I really never followed the Turboliners before until now, but this rebuilt is off sitting in a storage yard never to see service again?
Sadly, yes. The three completed sets, one of which never traveled an inch in revenue service, are going to waste in storage.

Your tax dollars hard at work

Three more sets reside at Super Steel in various stages of completion. And the seventh trainset, which was rebuilt as an "RTL 2" back in 1994 or so, also resides at Super Steel, never having begun the conversion to "RTL 3" status.

Here are some of the partially completed trains.

#369730  by astrosa

You should see the humongous patches of rust that are forming on the RTL III trainsets at Bear. Pretty sad to watch them rotting away like that.

This is how the Rohr Turboliners looked inside when they were new. No question about it, these were definitely products of the '70s!

#369735  by hsr_fan

astrosa wrote:You should see the humongous patches of rust that are forming on the RTL III trainsets at Bear. Pretty sad to watch them rotting away like that.
That makes me both sad and angry. :(

This is how the Rohr Turboliners looked inside when they were new. No question about it, these were definitely products of the '70s!
Wow, never saw that before! Interesting, thanks! What was the purpose of those bars across the windows?

#369774  by sixty-six

Wow, why were they even rebuilt into RTL III's if they were just to be sent to the deadline? Did NYS make Amtrak rebuild them?

It's too bad the coaches cant find use elsewhere.

#369783  by DutchRailnut

nope NYS was stupid enough fixing Amtraks trains. But Amtrak did not want them fixed so they decided they did not want to use them.
Then NYS started to be possesive so Amtrak took their property to Bear Delaware for storage and possible disposal.

So lets see this different way, I fix my neigbours car, but he did not want it fixed, then neighbour decides to scrap the car, would I have recourse ???
I don't think sooo ???