Railroad Forums 

• Anderson possible changes: Dismantling LD, Corridor, Etc.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1482116  by Tadman

Guys, for pete's sake. They're still collecting toys at stations. This, too, shall pass. Nothing lasts out of the two week news cycle these days, and very little lasts 48 hours. End of the day, the toys are still collecting and the railroad saves money. This is getting ridiculous.
 #1482140  by R&DB

Toys being collected at the stations still need to get to the kids. That's what the train was for that has been cancelled due to the 'no charters' policy. Negative PR when they could have used some positive PR.
 #1488069  by electricron

Kilo Echo wrote:Amtrak workers assembled outside NYP today to protest layoffs and service cuts.
From amNY: Amtrak layoffs, service cuts would 'dismantle' rail system, protesting workers say
I can see it now in my crystal ball, some Amtrak employees go on strike, the rest of the employees will not cross the picket line, and this administration refusing to negotiate. Months pass, then years, before somebody nails the shutters shut and scraps all the rolling stock. Goodby and goodnight. ;) :) :(
 #1488086  by eolesen

Uh, unless their contract is expired, and they've gone thru a 30 day cooling off period following declaration of an impass, the TWU can't strike.

They can picket, they can protest, they can do a slow-down, but the Railway Labor Act is pretty clear on when they can and can't walk off the job.
 #1488103  by bostontrainguy

RE: Jason Abrams, a spokesman for Amtrak, said in a statement that the dining service changes already implemented along the long-distance Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited lines have been “well received” by riders and still allow for a hot option. “We are undertaking changes with the dining service to provide higher-quality food with a contemporary style of service,” Abrams said in a statement. “Our continued success depends on increasing customer satisfaction, improving efficiency and costs. This contemporary style of service has been well received by customers, with meals of their choice and at times they choose.”

Would like to see proof of the "well received" statement. They also promised a hot breakfast item, but I have not read a report that this has happened or what it is.
 #1488104  by charlesriverbranch

Kilo Echo wrote:Amtrak workers assembled outside NYP today to protest layoffs and service cuts.

From amNY: Amtrak layoffs, service cuts would 'dismantle' rail system, protesting workers say
Anderson isn't "a robber baron CEO"; I suspect service under the robber barons was probably pretty good.

Anderson is an airline CEO, and his goal is to degrade customer service to airline levels. Almost everybody hates airlines; pretty soon, everybody will hate Amtrak too.

Anderson must go.
 #1488115  by Matt Johnson

bostontrainguy wrote:
Would like to see proof of the "well received" statement. They also promised a hot breakfast item, but I have not read a report that this has happened or what it is.
I also wish they explained that their corporate doublespeak "contemporary" label means replacing a restaurant quality menu with 7 Eleven/Wawa quality snack boxes!