Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1472489  by ApproachMedium

Tadman wrote:The toasters were toast. They had quite a high failure rate toward the end. The last thing you want to do is have a work train crap out, delaying delivery of materials to a job site, have 100 guys standing around on the clock, and tying up the main for the revenue trains. The toasters more than earned their keep, they probably lasted 150% longer than they were supposed to. It's time to let them go and run work trains with geeps that have a good chance of making it down the road all day.

LMAO you are joking right???? Because the work diesels we use right now are just SO reliable.
 #1472586  by nomis

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Briefly around 2009-10, a few ALP44s leased/loaned from NJT as work motors, but that was it. They went back and remained stored since.
And those were for movements from one side of NYP to the other.
 #1472608  by Amtrak706

915 is “preserved” at RRmPA
945 is preserved at IRM
The rest of the DCs are scrapped

901 is the only Amtrak owned AC left, the rest are scrapped. Sitting at Bear, DE, unknown fate.
There are 15 or so bank owned ACs still at Bear pending sale. Two may possibly be sold to Caltrain for work/test service at some point in the future. I don’t know the exact amount or road #s of the bank units at Bear, if someone in the know wants to provide this info that would be great.
942 and 928 (both AC) are now owned by TTCI and are at their test facility in Pueblo, CO.
 #1472739  by ApproachMedium

15 units are at bear, not including the two that are at wilmington shops awaiting sale to cali
 #1472746  by amtrakhogger

901 still at Wilmington Shops coupled to P40 828 as of yesterday 5/14.
 #1472780  by frequentflyer

ApproachMedium wrote:15 units are at bear, not including the two that are at wilmington shops awaiting sale to cali
So out of 50 or so units, 15 are left?
 #1472819  by ApproachMedium

15 bank owned units in bear, 3 in wilmington shops, 2 in museum and two in TTCI that makes only 22 units left.
 #1472821  by frequentflyer

So the Bank owned are just sitting at Bear waiting for the owners to decide what to do with them? Amtrak sold them to raise cash? When was this?

The 3 three in Wilmington shops are for work trains?

The 22 that are left, have or will meet the cutter's torch?

Thank you for the information.
 #1472837  by amtrakhogger

The 901 is supposedly headed to a museum, while the other two at Wilmington are tentatively headed to California for service.
 #1472883  by Amtrak706

Sorry, did not realize the 901 was still at Wilmington, I thought all the toasters there had been cleaned out and taken to Bear. Anyone know the road numbers of the two units pending sale at Wilmington or the 15 bank owned units at Bear?
 #1473108  by Milepost 110

liftedjeep wrote:-Earlier this week (11/16) a Facebook photo surfaced showing AEM-7s #944 & #914 coupled together (along with an HHP-8) outside of the Wilmington shops. A caption along with the photo read something along the lines of the two AEM-7s being readied for a "short future at the Wilmington Shop".
I have no idea or any further info as to what that post meant. A possibility that they may have been picked up by another rail agency, or an even smaller possibility that Amtrak could use them on an upcoming Holiday Extra next Sunday the 26th.

Let the speculation begin.........
Ben
Could 914 and 944 be the two lucky units heading to California? If so I thought they were both owned by Amtrak and not leased. I could be mistaken.
 #1473663  by Tom6921

amtrakhogger wrote:The 901 is supposedly headed to a museum, while the other two at Wilmington are tentatively headed to California for service.
Any idea which museum 901 is going to?
 #1474091  by amtrakhogger

Nothing official, other than it is being retained for a museum. Rumors abound, but I won't speculate.