Railroad Forums 

• Station Developments

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1524337  by Roadgeek Adam

He may have been referring that passengers should avoid Ashland, but that's not what should be advocated. Freight companies will have to live sooner or later with at least mini-highs.

When I was working up the line for photography, I missed Ashland, so I've not gotten to see this stop in person yet (seen photos and in Street View)

----

That said, we also have a development in Jefferson City MO as the old Union Hotel is right now closed and resulting in a station that rivals Williamsburg-Pottery Factory, a tent.
 #1524373  by WhartonAndNorthern

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm He may have been referring that passengers should avoid Ashland, but that's not what should be advocated. Freight companies will have to live sooner or later with at least mini-highs.

When I was working up the line for photography, I missed Ashland, so I've not gotten to see this stop in person yet (seen photos and in Street View)
It's a great place to railfan and the town government is very friendly to railfans recognizing that we spend money in the local businesses.
 #1524411  by WashingtonPark

I've been to Ashland several times to stay at the Henry Clay Inn and it's a great railroad town. However, the practice of walking passengers across two sets of tracks while an Amtrak train is bearing down on them one way and a CSX one is the other way is ridiculously unsafe.
 #1524450  by daybeers

I really don't understand how it's still running like that. It's not really an ADA violation, but it's a life safety one alright!
 #1525812  by Station Aficionado

Will try to post links later, but Carbondale IL just got funding to replace their 1980’s Amshack with a new intermodal facility, and Amtrak has had to temporarily vacate the station at Jefferson City MO due to structural problems.
 #1527508  by STrRedWolf

Gotten a few weeks ago but I’ve been busy. From MARC concerning the Baltimore Penn Station restrooms:
Due to a restroom refresh, the Penn Station restrooms will be temporarily closed from Monday, December 9th through Friday, December 20th. Passengers will not have access to the restrooms inside the station during this time. There will be a restroom trailer outside of the Charles Street exit for customer use.
WTF?!? Didn’t we get a refresh LAST YEAR (2018)?
 #1527515  by Allouette

Windsor Mt. Ascutney Vermont (WNM) is getting a platform canopy and (apparently) a new platform with a tactile edge. Up to this point the B&M/CV Union Station platform that dates back a very long time has been in use. The new platform/canopy area is fenced off during construction, the Vermonter is using a small spot in front of the Windsor Station restaurant. Yellow line there probably dates back to the B&M... No funding source signs, and it's not listed on Vermont AOT's web site.
 #1527575  by Allouette

The area under construction is south of the station building where the sign stands.
 #1528729  by Kilo Echo

Does anyone have updates for SPG's new Platform C? (It was supposed to have opened last month.)