Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1499314  by Arlington

It is effectively a state sponsored NER (or close enough).

I expect good patronage at Amtrak prices, since it is in a corridor sweet spot similar to Amtrak Virginia: it will be a great choice for college students and once-a-week super commuters with meetings in "the big city" (whether that turns out to be Springfield Hartford New Haven Stamford or New York)

I doubt that there is a significant number of five-day-a-week commuters here. But there are probably plenty of people who are traveling two to four times a month, and more who go six times a year who would love to have Amtrak as an alternative to going by car or bus.
 #1499316  by Arlington

Would Connecticut ever consider having the Shuttle (with Massachusetts' extensions) turn and do a tag out to New London? (Or how do connections work from New London to Springfield?)
Last edited by Arlington on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1499337  by gokeefe

From the B&MRRHS Passenger Department Chronology, compiled and edited by Richard K. "Rick" Hurst
Sat. April 28, 1962 -- The ICC allows the discontinuance of four Budd trains between Springfield and Windsor, Vt. and one Budd round trip between Springfield and Brattleboro. Trains #79 and #70 operate daily, except Sundays, between Springfield and Windsor. Trains #77 and #74 operate Sundays only between Springfield and Windsor. Trains #71 and #72 operate daily, except Sundays, between Springfield and Brattleboro. The Central Vermont proposes discontinuance of the trains over its line between Windsor and White River Jct. For trains operating daily, this is the last day of service.

With the exception of two Sunday trains operated in each direction between Springfield and Greenfield, #75 and #751 northbound and #752 and #754 southbound which serve Connecticut Valley colleges, this discontinuance leaves only the daytime Ambassador and the nocturnal Montrealer/Washingtonian for Conn. River passenger service. (Source: ICC Finance Docket No. 21786 Decided March 9, 1962, which authorizes the discontinuances, B&M 1961 and 1962 annual reports, and Callboy. B&M petitioned the ICC under section 13a(1), which allows a railroad operating interstate trains to petition the ICC directly.)

Sun. April 29, 1962 -- B&M announces the institution of special train service to accommodate the needs of Connecticut Valley college students to better serve their needs in the wake of the recent train discontinuances on this line. Between now and June 15, 1962, there will be one Friday afternoon southbound from Greenfield to Springfield, with two northbounds on Sundays from Springfield to Greenfield. These will connect with New Haven Railroad trains to and from New York City. (Source: B&M notice dated April 27, 1962 signed by G.F. Gallagher, Supt. Passenger Transportation.)
So *roughly* speaking ... mid 1962 since there was much else beyond "once a day each way" (daytime).
 #1499341  by gokeefe

From the same source quoted above ...
Sat. September 3, 1966 -- The last runs of the last 2 pairs of passenger trains on the Connecticut River line operating between White River Jct., Vt. and Springfield, Mass. are made, per decision of the ICC. The trains are #21 and #20, the nighttime Montrealer and Washingtonian and #75 and #76, the daytime Ambassador. The State of Vermont had contested the order, but after ICC reconsideration, the authority for discontinuance was reaffirmed and a final Order to that effect was issued Fri., Feb. 3, 1967. Note that the B&M is still operating one Friday trip and 4 Sunday trips with Budd cars between Springfield and Greenfield to accommodate college students in this area. (Source: ICC Finance Docket #24000 decided July 22, 1966 and B&M 1966 annual report.)
Also ...
Sun. March 5, 1967 -- The last runs of Sunday-only trains #751, #753, #752, and #745 between Springfield and Greenfield occur today. Train #750 made its final run between Greenfield and Springfield on Friday, March 3, 1967. This is the end of Conn River passenger service. (Source: DPU #15228 of February 23, 1967 and Supplement #3 to B&M timetable #14, effective 2:00 AM, Monday, March 6, 1967.)
So ... at the very latest, March 5, 1967. It's been at least 52 years since the Conn River Line north of Springfield has seen some form of service providing more than one daytime round trip.

These changes are fundamental alterations of the economic fabric which ties the Pioneer Valley together.

At long last the decay has ended.
 #1499395  by Traingeek3629

Jeff Smith wrote:Two round trips daily: one a.m. one p.m.

Extended shuttles: any idea which two? I’m thinking 495/490 as 495 still makes Hartford before 8 and 490 is the first NB. 451 is too early. Afternoon I’m thinking 475/476. Thoughts?

Cost looks reasonable:
For example, a trip from Northampton to New York City’s Penn Station and can vary between $68 and $47 over the next few months depending on discounts or promotions.
That’s the Vermonter, subsidized IIRC. This will be unsubsizized service. Not sure what the fares will be.

475 and 476 are both too early. I'm thinking more like 494 (might not be the best choice due to 94 OTP) and possibly 417. Yes, the latter is an Acela connection, but that could be changed if you moved 177 back ~15 minutes and moved up 417 up~25 minutes.
 #1499411  by gokeefe

Rockingham Racer wrote:Very interesting, and nostalgic. Thanks for doing some digging!
You're welcome! I think it helps us all to have a real sense of perspective on the extent of what Amtrak and their partners have achieved.

I doubt very much that anyone in 1967 would have ever believed the trains would ever return. The Vermonter/Montrealer is one thing. The daytime locals is another matter entirely.
 #1499441  by Arlington

It'd be nice to run about 6 hours ahead and behind the Vermonter.
Are they able to leave a train at GFD overrnight, or deadhead up from SPG at 5am, or does anything southbound have to follow immediately a northbound?

I think I have it, though (assuming a train can't be left at GFD overnight)
From GFD Southbound
Start today's train 495 at about 5:50am (with a train deadheaded up)
Start today's train 479 at about 6:10pm (with a turn of train 490)

From NHV Northbound
Start today's train 490 at its 9:00am, arrives GFD before noon and waits 6 hours to be 479
Start today's train 476 at its 5:25pm, arrives GFD at about 8pm and deadheads home
 #1499568  by asull85

Jeff Smith wrote:Two round trips daily: one a.m. one p.m.

Extended shuttles: any idea which two? I’m thinking 495/490 as 495 still makes Hartford before 8 and 490 is the first NB. 451 is too early. Afternoon I’m thinking 475/476. Thoughts?
The present plan is for 495 and 471 in the morning and 494 and 478 in the evening. The trains going to Greenfield will be changed to a 5## number. I believe 488 is one of the weekend trains planned for Greenfield. MassDOT is also looking into extending service to North Adams depending on how this pilot program goes.
 #1499575  by Arlington

asull85 wrote:The present plan is for 495 and 471 in the morning and 494 and 478 in the evening. The trains going to Greenfield will be changed to a 5## number.
Great! So this is a VERY SUPER-COMMUTER "day seeing clients in the big city" or "job interview" kind of schedule

From GFD Southbound
Start today's train 495 at about 5:50am (got to NHV by 9:00a and onward to NYP by 10:30a)
Start today's train 471 at about 7:40am (get to NHV by 10:30 and onward to NYP by 12:30p)
From NHV Northbound
Start today's train 494 at its 7:35pm, arrives GFD at about 10:15pm
Start today's train 478 at its 9:55pm, arrives GFD after midnight (12:35ish?)

How much deadheading from SPG does this involve? All deadheaded? Is there a siding/track on which to park trains overnight? Or even during the day?

MY DREAM: If MA & VT would set up some shore power, and it being 2hrs GFD<-->WRJ, it'd sure be nice to have another 5am-to-Midnight rotation.
WRJ would start 471 at 5:40am and get 478 back at midnight
GFD would start 495 at 5:50am and get 471 back at 12:30p
asull85 wrote:MassDOT is also looking into extending service to North Adams depending on how this pilot program goes.
Hmm. Sounds like a mix of true things that ends up not true?
1) Passenger service to North Adams is definitely a thing, but I'd say only from Adams: MassDOT bought the 5mi-long Adams Branch (Adams to North Adams@PAS) in 2015 and as of the 2018 rail plan is spending 2.5M upgrading it for passenger, but that's for theBerkshire Scenic Ry Museum's RDC joy rides
2) And MassDOT is clearly committed to "further study" about "future service" if the Greenfield pilot goes well (and I think we're all expecting it to go well), so this could be the "looking into" I suppose.
3) And in the same 2018 Rail Plan, MassDOT says it wants both 12r/t daily NHV-SPG and a BerkshireFlyer (modeled on the CapeFlyer's success), so they're definitely hotly pursuing added rail service in western MA.
4) And they're nudging return of the Inlands along.

But somehow I think it will take a future revision of the State Rail Plan before real planning goes into any west-of-SPG (Inlands to Pittsfield) or west-of-GFD (on PanAmSouthern) before we can hope for a study of service west of GFD.
 #1499580  by lordsigma12345

Arlington wrote: How much deadheading from SPG does this involve? All deadheaded? Is there a siding/track on which to park trains overnight? Or even during the day?
It sounds like all deadhead. It would be nice if some of the deadhead trips were sold as options. While ridership would certainly be limited, if they are moving the train anyway what difference would it make. While the very first one for 495 would be pretty useless, the others would not be. I'd take the northbound Vermonter from Springfield to Northampton for a night out and then one of the southbound "deadheads" home if it was offered.