Railroad Forums 

• Wisconsin Talgos Disposition - MI and now Pacific Surfliner

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1436436  by AgentSkelly

Yeah, Bombardier's Plattsburgh facility is pretty slick....my understanding is that Bombardier likes the plant capacity on this of the border as Thunder Bay alone doesn't have the capacity; some of the recent new GO cars were built there even.

I also ended up talking with someone at WSDOT the other day just by luck while getting coffee. Real Briefly, the man said WSDOT had a need for those WI Talgo sets, they would either

1) Use them to lengthen its sister trainsets (Talgo has signed off on this in the past)
2) Buy the sets and pay for the Talgo appropriately for the bistro/business class cars.

And also, VIA's Vancouver Maintenance Center is authorized by Talgo to make repairs and apparently has done some "quick" repair work in the past. And speaking of Canadian operators, he did mention that what he hears, some Canadian operators were looking at the sets too...
 #1436474  by gokeefe

mtuandrew wrote:Me. O'Keefe didn't specify that the buyer would be an operator :wink:
I think they almost certainly will be bought by an operator. They have conventional diesel electric power plants and are supported by a railcar company that has a clear future supporting the equipment they build.

Interesting to hear of the possible use in Canada ...
 #1436482  by electricron

Where in Canada could these two sets be used? Edmonton to Calgary in Alberta? Vancouver to Kamloops in British Columbia?Reginia to Winnipeg in two different providences, or any other city pairs the Canadian services twice weekly that wants daily services? There's lots of possibilities, but who has the money resources to subside them?
 #1436531  by mtuandrew

They'd be nice on the old LRC Toronto-Montreal run - VIA doesn't even need to provide a lounge because it already offers food and beverage service on a cart.

EDIT: are there low-level platforms at Toronto Union, Gate Centrale de Montreal, or the points between?
 #1436584  by RRspatch

All platforms at Montreal central station and Quebec City are high level. One platform at Toronto is high level for the Union - Parsons express (UP). I believe there are plans to raise the platforms at Ottawa. That pretty much limits VIA to where they can use them on their eastern Windsor - Toronto - Montreal - Quebec City corridor. I can't think of any Canadian commuter authority that would want Talgo cars.

My suggestion was for WSdot to but the sets and chop them up to add to the existing sets and I'm sure that's exactly what will happen.
 #1436585  by electricron

That's why I suggest western Canadian city pairs. Low platforms in Montreal creates problems using them.
But I'm not so sure the FRA will allow mixing FRA compliant Talgo cars with non-compliant ones running under waivers. Having just one non-compliant car in a set should make the entire set non-compliant.