Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1413793  by Amtk30

Agreed!

The Annapolis blog ad has been getting around. My son showed me the blog somewhere on facebook the other evening.

BTW, is that an Amtrak Cardinal poster on the far wall of the car? Hmmm! :-D

Amtk30
 #1413814  by Gilbert B Norman

Of interest, the propaganda photo at the blog shows the car standing at a station complete with flowers, metal flatware, and ceramic tableware.

Dr. Goebbels' wish is the Unter Kommandant's command.

But a very positive addition is that of grab irons atop each bench. Let's see if some 5'4" 250lb "Madama Butterball" will use 'em.

I've seen such species take a flop into passenger's lap in an Auto Train Diner.

Well, this particular 5'9" 173lb critter knows how to walk aboard trains; unfortunately that makes train crews suspicious thinking I'm some kind of spy. I've gotten so sick and tired of it that last AT journey, I never once left my Bedroom other than to go to the center car "ice station" for such to chill my bottle of "grape juice" (Dinner was in-room).
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1413825  by AgentSkelly

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Well, this particular 5'9" 173lb critter knows how to walk aboard trains; unfortunately that makes train crews suspicious thinking I'm some kind of spy. I've gotten so sick and tired of it that last AT journey, I never once left my Bedroom other than to go to the center car "ice station" for such to chill my bottle of "grape juice" (Dinner was in-room).
When I moved to the NW and took a trip on the Cascades, I had an conductor ask me if I was by chance an current or former Amtrak employee; I told him no, why you ask? He said because I could walk thru the train very well...I told him I was a longtime Empire Corridor rider.
 #1414517  by SouthernRailway

Is there any hope whatsoever of the Crescent getting an additional sleeping car AND (arising from additional capacity to sell) lower sleeping-car prices in 2017 or 2018?

The one-way sleeping car fare from NYC to the Carolinas is $450-$600+. As much as I like taking the Crescent, I can fly first-class for a lot less than that, so my choice is the plane, not the train, for pretty much every trip.
 #1414528  by Greg Moore

2017, probably not. 2018, maybe.

First we have to get the diners out. Then the sleepers will start to trickle out, but my guess is as they trickle out, they'll replace 1:1 Viewliner I sleepers so they can go into massive overhauls.

That said, I'm looking at sleepers to/from Atlanta at the end of February and seeing nothing like your prices. I suppose it all depends on timing.
 #1414536  by gokeefe

Worth noting that thus far there has been no indication of an impending "mid-life" overhaul program for the Viewliner cars. My impression is that these cars have been regularly cycled through Beech Grove for life-cycle maintenance and heavy repairs/overhaul. I think we may be looking at an impending capacity expansion. In fact the changing political climate right now might demand it. At least in these forums we have all been thinking that the Viewliner I cars really would come offline. I don't think that's true anymore and now seems like an appropriate time to dust off the possible "expansion" candidates.

Absolutely the very first at the top of the list (in my mind)? Train(s) 66/67, Northeast Regional overnight service on the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Newport News (as if that even needed to be typed! :-D ). After that I think Amtrak is in a position to have a "surge" fleet that will cycle between the Atlantic Coast Service, Lake Shore Limited, and the Cardinal (when justified due to seasonal demand). I think the Crescent will see additional cars as justified by demand but for the moment the clear candidate or additional service seems to be the NEC. I think its notable that ridership levels are far higher than they were in 2002 when the Twilight Shoreliner last ran with sleeper cars.

Here's a nice trip down Memory Lane courtesy of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET).
Amtrak set to turn lights out on Boston-to-D.C. sleeper cars
BOSTON -- Perhaps signaling the end of an era, Amtrak is bidding goodnight to the sleeper car on its red-eye Twilight Shoreliner to-and-from Washington, D.C., according to the Boston Herald.

With Amtrak's Northeast Corridor now the proving ground for high-speed rail in America, this weekend will mark the last time the throwback cars - complete with showers, room service and porters who cater to a passenger's every whim - make the run to and from the nation's capital.

“What a shame,” said one local railroad aficionado who wished to remain anonymous. “It's a (nine) hour train ride to Washington. That's a perfect overnight run for someone that wants to have dinner here and have a nice, comfortable ride to Washington for business.”

But Amtrak officials acknowledging the changing winds along its Northeast Corridor, where Acela Express is now capturing close to 40 percent of the airline ``shuttle market,'' say the move was prompted more by the agency's long-standing financial woes.

Those have been exacerbated recently by a string of recent Amtrak crashes that have caused a domino-effect, prompting officials to move some of its equipment around to maximize profits.

“When you change service, it's never an easy decision, especially in a situation like this,” said Amtrak's James Weinstein, a senior vice president in charge of the Northeast Corridor. “We didn't make the decision lightly . . . but in light of the fact we've got the premium rail service in this country (with Acela Express), we think it's the prudent thing to do.”

The last sleeper car train out of Boston will leave Sunday night, while the last return trip with sleeper cars will be on Monday. The nostalgic ride on the Twilight Shoreliner - which actually runs through Washington to Newport News, Va. - has decent ridership numbers, with the standard sleeper cars seeing 62 percent occupancy rates.

The Shoreliner replaced Amtrak's Night Owl in the summer of 1997. The Night Owl dates back to Amtrak's early days, and rail buffs say other railroads offered sleeper car service between Boston and Washington dating all the way back to the 1930s.

The new service brought more comfortable cars that show first-run movies and provide travelers with four different channels of music.

One-way fares for the sleeper cars run between $178 and $359. Fares in the business-class cars range from $81 to $106.

The sleeper cars that will bid adieu to the Hub this weekend will be shifted over to Amtrak's 18 long-distance routes.
Despite the approach of the busy summer travel season and popularity of sleeper car service in other parts of the country, some think Amtrak is making a mistake.

“The information I've seen does not make it sound to me like it's a smart decision,” said Ross Capon, executive director of the Washington-based National Association of Railroad Passengers. “They have a finite number of sleeping cars and where they deploy them, but I'm not satisfied at this point the decisions that have been made are the right ones.”

Capon said the sleeper cars on the Twilight Shoreliner offer a perfect counterpoint to the Acela Express.

“There are people who might take the Acela Express in one direction who might consider the overnight train going home if it had a sleeper car,” he said.

The good news, according to Weinstein, is that the move might not be permanent. Amtrak currently has 23 sleeper cars at its Beech Grove, Ind., maintenance facility that could be fixed up and put back into use either here or along the long-distance routes.

“I think people who enjoy and have patronized this kind of train travel are going to miss it,” said Weinstein. “But hopefully we'll get to the point financially and from an equipment standpoint where at some point in the future we'll be able to restore (the sleeper cars).”

Monday, May 20, 2002
 #1414540  by Gilbert B Norman

“There are people who might take the Acela Express in one direction who might consider the overnight train going home if it had a sleeper car,” he said.
The captioned quotation taken from the article immediately linked by Mr. O'Keefe reminds me of a New Haven RR ad suggesting just that. As I recall, the copy read (to the effect of) as follows:
Sleep your way to Boston or New York - and save a hotel room....After your busy day, relax your way home on the Merchants Limited
 #1414546  by gokeefe

Just to give an idea of the economics in play now: Fairfield Inn & Suites near Washington Union Station currently at $259/night and that's off season and in between administrations no less (lots of people moving out of town, lower than usual business travel demand in Washington). I doubt very much such would have been the case for the bottom tier Marriott accomodation in 2002. The potential travel demand for sleeper accommodations on 66/67 is absolutely astronomical and the political benefits of providing this service are almost incalculable. "Would you like an extra pillow Senator?" or even more likely, Trump administration staffers traveling back and forth between Washington and New York. In this day and age saving a days travel and airport security while working for the White House and commuting between New York and Washington would be a priceless luxury. People in jobs like that schedule their days down to the second and measure time saved in minutes not hours.
 #1414558  by SouthernRailway

I'd think that with some marketing, Amtrak could significantly expand its sleeping car business since the existence of night trains with decent arrival/departure times in some markets seems more or less unknown to the general public.

I've done plenty of trips to Boston for business dinners, including when the Twilight Shoreliner, etc. ran, and the thought of taking a sleeping car never crossed anyone's mind-- for one, we took the Acela Express and stayed overnight in a hotel (in 2001) and left the next morning on the Acela. Similarly, Washington-Atlanta is feasible overnight and probably some of the Florida trains are feasible overnight, yet I'm not aware of any marketing efforts for those routes or widespread knowledge of them by business travelers.
 #1414560  by jp1822

Greg Moore wrote:2017, probably not. 2018, maybe.

First we have to get the diners out. Then the sleepers will start to trickle out, but my guess is as they trickle out, they'll replace 1:1 Viewliner I sleepers so they can go into massive overhauls.

That said, I'm looking at sleepers to/from Atlanta at the end of February and seeing nothing like your prices. I suppose it all depends on timing.
But why?

Amtrak has 11 Viewliner 1 sleepers in reserve. They can still roll out the new sleepers and do massive overhauls and refurbishing on say one of the "11" in reserve. I realize it's not the same 11 Viewliners that are always out held in reserve, but with that many cars not being used there's no reason why Amtrak couldn't do three or four Viewliner 1 refurbs as the new cars come out. This way you'd still be adding capacity.......the only way this plan wouldn't work is if you had about 4 Viewliner 1's go into wreck/repair status. Just get the CAF order dome!!!!!
 #1414562  by gokeefe

I don't think they've bothered in the past because they didn't have the additional capacity. Ironically now they probably don't have to do it either because their demand still far outstrips capacity. The evidence for that? Fares that are still sky-high. I don't think they're going to down anytime soon either. Amtrak will probably be able to organically grow their way into the new capacity. The press they get from restoring sleeping car service on the Northeast Corridor will also give them an opening to mention "additional space on trains to Florida".