Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak stations with no decent food

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1522815  by Rockingham Racer

I nominate Houston. I waited there last month for a late # 1, and so missed dinner on the train. I had to order in pizza.

I can also nominate Benzon, AZ.

Finally, it's quite possible that the list here will be longer than the one in the thread asking for stations with decent food nearby.
 #1522817  by njtmnrrbuff

What about Barstow, Ca? I don’t think there are any restaurants next to the station. You have to walk over the bridge that goes over the tracks. It’s not the best neighborhood on the same side of the tracks as where Rt. 66 is. Don’t get left behind by 3 or 4 there.
 #1522854  by Tadman

Was just about to say that. SOB used to have a good rib joint around the corner (Archies?) when I was a kid, but I seem to remember it closed after a few too many gunshots. Do not wander off around here. Also remember that train time for both eastbounds is after dark. Stay on premises. Or leave your car at the airport and take an uber.
 #1522867  by R&DB

Tadman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:54 pm Was just about to say that. SOB used to have a good rib joint around the corner (Archies?) when I was a kid, but I seem to remember it closed after a few too many gunshots. Do not wander off around here. Also remember that train time for both eastbounds is after dark. Stay on premises. Or leave your car at the airport and take an uber.
Someone should tell Mayor Pete.
 #1522873  by Tadman

So let me try to give an apolitical (if anybody can believe that) analysis of that situation. I grew up in South Bend. I still have relatives there. Pete and I are the same age and we have probably 20+ friends in common, but don't know each other and never met to my knowledge. I've been functionally gone as a resident since I left for college in 2000. Since my parents moved out in 2012, I visit my grandmother a few times a year and that's my only contact there.

South Bend is the epitome of the rust belt. We embody every stereotype. Union problems, race problems, job problems, education problems, the list goes on and on and on. It's also your typical mid-small city which means everybody knows everyone else's biz, especially in my circles. There are no secrets. I chose to get out, as it appeared to me in 2004 that there was little prospect for change. I wanted to stay as my part of the city was safe and easy to live in, but I wanted a bit more growth.

Fast forward 15 years, and we have 2019 and all the froth that's brought us. South Bend has made some big changes, but lots has stayed the same. We (they?) finally confronted our identity as a rust belt city. The Studebaker factory (closed since 1964) is finally being torn down except for some select repurposing. The downtown is no longer a great place to get robbed, and people are opening shops there. Notre Dame is finally acknowledging their role and investing in the city.

Pete is now the mayor, and I love the positive vibes even though I disagree with him on a lot. But this frustrates me. Why didn't Joe Kernan or other mayors wave this magic positive vibes wand and fix everything?

Because it's a lot of smoke and mirrors. There are still plenty of dangerous sides of the city. There is still plenty of crime. The job situation is a bit better due to the national economy, but I'd still be leery of locating a plant there. The other mayors weren't stupid or lazy, they just didn't buy into the showmanship bit.

So I wish Pete well. It's like watching Indiana U or ND win a title. I didn't go there, I don't know the player names, but the home team is always fun to see win. I love that he wants to facilitate a return of the South Shore to downtown. But what will really fix town? Lots of heavy lifting and addressing serious probs that won't change through bike share, street re-routing, and stuff like that. It's going to be a very long time before the neighborhood around the Amtrak station is fixed. My mom grew up there and moved out around 1960 when it went downhill. Bendix had a huge plant there (billion dollar operation in todays money) and they didn't walk away from all that investment for kicks. It just didn't make sense, and it still doesn't.

Rant over.

TLDR I wish Pete the best but it's going to be a long time until you can eat well at Bendix Station.
 #1522874  by STrRedWolf

Are we talking inside only or local area for a major (non-connecting) station? Because Baltimore Penn Station only has Dunkin' Donuts and Java Moon Cafe... which only redeeming feature is that it has a bar to help drown the memory of mediocre food. Better stuff nearby.
 #1522880  by NaugyRR

Rhinecliff... unless you stop at the Milan Mobile or one of the higher end places in Rhinebeck proper, there's literally nothing other than the vending machines in the station house.
 #1522882  by Tadman

mtuandrew wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:28 am Hopefully Amtrak (and eventually South Shore) will stop in downtown, and regardless of what happens in Bendix it'll make dining options better.
Totally agreed. Somehow they came up with a $100m price for South Shore to do that. That's crazy. It's a straight shot with room the entire ROW from the old Bendix station to Union Station. $100m for three miles of single track and wire?

Of course this is South Shore only, Amtrak could stop downtown tomorrow if GTW and NS agreed to it and a station were built. It's not necessary to hae a common station between those services as there is little predictability for westbound 49 and 29.
 #1522909  by Backshophoss

The "greasy spoon" snack bars at ABQ station "greydog" contracts with,believe the same vendor runs the snack bar
in the Alvarado center City bus Hub, are "meh" at best.
Since Greydog and Amtrak share the building,the Amtrak staff, tends to stay away from it(ei "last resort lunch')
Food is junk/greasy quality,made to eaten "on the fly" between bus connections,do some sort of grab,pay,and go box"
for the coach passengers on #3 ,# 4.

Both locations have Homeless infestations be careful!

At the City bus snack bar,junk,greasy and made to woof down in seconds,before getting on the City bus(No food,drinks allowed!)
Private car owners hike over to the 2nd street market(2 blocks away)to get fresh foodstuffs and adult drinks(a bit $$)
 #1522924  by njtmnrrbuff

The saying "never judge a book by its cover" can be applied to thinking the Alvarado Transportation in ABQ is just as nice on the inside that it is on the outside. It's not. I was in it five years ago and must say that the interior is anything but clean. There are many seedy people hanging out there. I never bought food from any of the eateries at ABQ station but I am not surprised that the food isn't the best. If you choose to step off that train in ABQ, it's better to go a few blocks away from the station. You might have to may some extra but at least, the food quality is better.

As for the South Bend Station, unless if you are catching a train or getting off there, don't wander into the neighborhood. It's not one of the safest parts. South Bend isn't the worst city in the world but it is still considered one of those rust belt cities that is hit or miss. I don't think there are too many eateries on the same block as the station but closer to the airport, there is.

Baltimore has many options nearby. I remember a few years ago, I spent a few nights there and was catching one of the weekend MARC trains to DC. The food options in the station are probably ok at the best. I purchased a sandwich at a pretty good deli a few blocks away from the station. Where Baltimore Station is is pretty good safetywise. Lots of new apartments up. Don't get lost though especially go a few blocks to the east because it turns rough fast.

The Miami Amshack-if you can wait to find a much nicer area, then do it. I don't think there are many food options available within walking distance of the Amtrak station, actually in Hialeah. It's a dangerous neighborhood.
 #1522927  by njtmnrrbuff

Portland Maine Amtrak station probably doesn't have too many eateries within the immediate block of the depot.

Albany-Rensselaer doesn't have much either although there is a Stewarts extremely close to the station. Fortunately, Downtown Albany is right across the river.