Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1482457  by Suburban Station

STrRedWolf wrote:
Suburban Station wrote: I'm referring to bolt and megabus services that are an easy transfer across the street from 30th.
Bolt/Megabus has flaws. The big three I can think of are:
  • Bolt/Megabus are pre-pay only, and do not have a monthly/weekly pass. Think "Greyhound" with more capacity per bus.
  • Those are double-decker buses. You got height restrictions under bridges! The route needs to be carefully planned...
  • ...and the big one, the train is on a dedicated track and goes on average... what, 75-80 MPH? Way above highway speeds, which max out at 70 MPH? And the train doesn't have much traffic to contend? While such a bus would have to contend with drivers at different times of the day (let alone that lemon on the left).
Besides, doesn't SEPTA have commuter buses as well?
I'd guess most people would prefer to be on the train but Amtrak is not priced for college kids who are mostly using the buses of which there are many. bolt and megabus are both at 30th st with long lines. yo bus, Chinatown operators, our bus all in addition to the Trenton shuffle. they aren't perfect but they're reasonably fast at a fraction of the price.
 #1488668  by electricron

Milepost 110 wrote:How many keystone sets are required for daily service?
Interesting question which I will admit I don't have the answer to. But we can speculate what the minimum will be logically. How? First by looking at how long it takes the first train to leave both New York City and Harrisburg to arrive in the opposite city, and count how many trains leave both cities before the first train arrives that can be turned, also we have to account for the three trains that overnight in Philadelphia which head westward towards Harrisburg.
So, here's what I read using Amtrak's scheduling....and using Monday-Friday trains......
First train leaves NYC at 0717 and arrives in Harrisburg at 1046
First train leaves Harrisburg 0500 and arrives in New York City at 0830
Only one train departs New York City before another Keystone train arrives at 0830 and is available for turning. (1 set)
Six trains depart Harrisburg before a train from New York City arrives at 1046 and is available for turning.(6 sets) Let's assume three originated from Philadelphia and three originated from Harrisburg. Easy to assume because all three train sets from Philadelphia arrive and could depart Harrisburg before the first train from New York City arrives.
That sums up to a minimum of 7 train sets.
Additionally, there are two more train sets required for the Pennsylvanian train to and from Pittsburg. A singe set can't arrive at Harrisburg at 1426 and depart Harrisburg over an hour and 21 minutes earlier at 1305. A single train set can not be at two different locations at the same moment of time.

So the sum is now a minimum of 9 train sets if you considering the Pennsylvanian Keystone trains. I state minimum because I don't know how many trains are held in reserve for maintenance purposes.
 #1488683  by Suburban Station

There are 8 sets (2 in ny, 3 each in philly and Harrisburg) not including the pennsylvanian. Moving the pennsylvanian earlier would allow a set to overnight elsewhere since there would be plenty of time to turn for the pennsylvanians current slot
 #1499667  by Lackawanna565

Any progress on installing the new signal system east of Park Interlocking? I haven't been down in the section in years.
 #1514358  by Jeff Smith

PressAndJournal.com:
Amtrak station work still set for 2020; track relocation being done; opening possible in 2 years (Middletown PA)

Track relocation work that must be done before station construction can begin is proceeding as planned and on schedule, said PennDOT spokeswoman Ashley Schoch.

Norfolk Southern has its contractors on site. Amtrak is scheduled to begin moving its track after Norfolk Southern is done.
However, there will be no overhead pedestrian bridge over West Main Street — Route 230.

The original plan called for building the overhead bridge to connect Penn State Harrisburg on the north side of West Main with the new train station, and with the extended Emaus Street pathway to downtown that is also part of the train station project.

But the estimated $7 million cost to build the bridge was deemed too expensive.
 #1516979  by rcthompson04

Some serious work is going on along the line between Thorndale and Bryn Mawr over the next two weekends with SEPTA service running only to Bryn Mawr and being replaced by shuttle buses to Malvern/Thorndale. I saw some switches sitting at Paoli recently. What are they doing other than the months long tie replacement project?
 #1522782  by Lackawanna565

Has there been any progress on the new signal system from Park to Thorn? I haven't been down that way in years. Asked on some Facebook group pages. But no answers.
 #1522798  by CNJGeep

261 and ABS is in effect Paoli to Frazer. Two new automatics just west of Malvern on 1+4 Tracks
 #1554784  by Pensyfan19

Bill seeks to transfer Keystone Line from Amtrak to Pennsylvania! Hopefully the state can run it in a better fashion.

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... nnsylvania
Legislation introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives earlier this week would require Amtrak to transfer ownership of its Keystone Line between Philadelphia and Harrisburg, Pa., to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The Keystone Line for the Commonwealth Act would allow the line and some of its 12 stations to be managed by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. The line currently receives $100 million in state funding annually. “I have constantly been disappointed by … Amtrak’s responsiveness and management of our local rail line,” U.S. Rep. Lloyd Smucker (R-Lancaster, Pa.), who introduced the bill, said in a press release. “Renovation and repair projects are consistently delayed and over budget and revenue generated by the line is sent out of the commonwealth to other states. … By granting Pennsylvania ownership of the Keystone Line, we can provide greater local control, accountability, and expand ridership opportunities.¨
 #1554800  by electricron

I am not against PDOT acquiring the Keystone ROW within Pennsylvania. But I am interested on how much Pennsylvania pays to buy it from Amtrak. From my reading of the news article link, the sale price is zero. Over the years, both federal and Pennsylvania taxpayers have spent millions of dollars to maintain It, the ROW should be worth more than zero dollars.

What do you, the readers of this thread, think is a more appropriate price, even with a massive discount.

If you agree with the Pennsylvania congressman, how would you feel if Amtrak sold the entire NEC away to the various states for nothing?