Railroad Forums 

• Sound of BART and WMATA

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#1031141  by sepulchra

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum. I work as a SFX recordist and I've spent a fair bit of time recording trolley's and trains and I've joined the forum with the hope further educating myself. I live in the New York area and I spend a fair amount of time on the NYC subway system. I've recently been on the BART and WMATA and the propulsion system has a truly wonderful sound. I'm assuming they have similar type motors (AC) traction motors).

I'm very much interested in recording that sound, but I wanted to be able to record them pristinely. When I record such things I often have to hire vehicles and record them in the remote places so I don't get people noises getting into my recordings. You can see how recording public transit might pose challenges. I can't through a process with each municipality, but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pn5CTWyohI

Might there is a way for me to record them with out the train? Are there similar pieces of technology that can operate under loads and make that awesome sound? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!