Railroad Forums 

• how close is TOO close

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#72280  by RCH022

this is a question for all of you engineers and conductors out there... how close is too close for us to b to the tracks while taking pictures and what is your preference of how close railfans are to the trains. thanx

#72344  by Ken W2KB

Occasionally the metal straps that hold loads onto lumber or flat cars break and "fly" along side the train like a knife. Could extend 20 feet or more from the side. It would cut someone too close in half.

#72541  by mxdata

I don't qualify for the engineer or conductor status, I just repair locomotives and spend lots of time testing them, but I would like to offer my observations on this question.

The advice regarding dragging equipment is "right on"! I have seen loose chains, particularly on DODX flats, being thrown through arcs which could easily reach twenty feet from the tracks. I saw one nail and take down a crossing gate some years ago.

Treat any public grade crossing which does not have gates just as if it did have them and stand well outside where the gates would be.

Stay well away from the tracks on the trailing side of a diamond or a turnout when a train is approaching. The impact to the running gear of equipment crossing a diamond at high speed can be as high as 20 G's, and if anything is poorly attached it is likely to come loose and go bouncing down the right of way on the trailing side. One hit by a flying brake shoe could easily be fatal.

#73949  by emd_SD_60

the closest i've ever been to the tracks was 7 feet... and that was videotaping a northbound CNIC freight earlier today.

#73958  by trainfreak

I have also seen some dragging equipment. Once while watching a train pass one of the flat cars on it had a chain flying out from the side wailing into the ground kicking up ballast. Luckily it had just passed a stopped train and the crew from that train told the passing train of the chain bouncing all over.

#75535  by emd_SD_60

emd_SD_60 wrote:the closest i've ever been to the tracks was 7 feet... and that was videotaping a northbound CNIC freight earlier today.
my bad... it was more like 10 1/2 or 11 feet, not 7.

#82670  by Kazaam

I'm a conductor, I will be honest with all of you railfans out there. It does make crew members quite nervous when they see someone relatively close to the tracks. Keep in mind, not only can banding, chains, and other stuff be dragged with the risk of hitting whatever may stand in it's way, but metal fragments from wheel flanges and rails do tend to fly as well, making for some not so nice eye jewlery!! So with all of that being said, I would say that hopefully all of you will use common sense and your discretion.....If I was to give a distance, I would have to say, stay at least 40 or 50 feet from the nearest rail.

#82853  by Santa Fe Sucks

At the very least, stay off the ballast.

#83339  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

not that i am proud of this, but i have stood probably 5 feet from a moving regional traing going 110, but i was with Amtrak Crew members at the time

#83874  by RailBus63

I've also seen loose metal banding whipping around from the sides of freight cars, particularly centerbeam flats carrying loads of lumber.

There's no reason to be too close to the tracks when a train approaches, even at a public crossing. Today's railroad train is a huge beast - in my opinion, photographers really should stand some distance from the track to gain the proper perspective and show the train in its environment. Roster shots are best gotten when the train is standing still at a station or in a yard.

Another piece of advice I received a long time ago - always have an 'escape route' available in the event of a derailment.

Jim

#84000  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Railbus, that thought has never crossed my mind, but now that i have read, everytime i go out now, i will look for that escape route, thank you

#84303  by trainfreak

Yeah my dad and i always look for the escape route in case anything terrible happens while we are watching the train. I just hope that we will never have to use that escape route.

#84389  by RailBus63

There was a derailment on the Susquehanna in the late 1980's or early 1990's in which a railfan's car parked adjacent to the right-of-way was damaged by the freight cars which came off the track.

JD

#170319  by Steve F45

If i can scan the pic i took when i was about 13 of a conrail at cp5 in ridgefield park. I was standing probably less then 6 feet from the train that was moving at a pretty good clip. Pretty stupid when i look back at it.

#172116  by Amtrak31

I always keep my distance from the tracks to be safe. I always wave to the crews of the trains. When I'm at a train station, I always stay behind the yellow line. Stay safe out there.