Railroad Forums 

• DSLR Batteries

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#668088  by maguire54

Hi,

I have a Nikon D80 and would like to buy a back-up battery. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket specialty batteries. I can get one for
1/3 - 1/2 of what the Nikon branded EN-EL3e is selling for

Thanks
 #675453  by Chessie GM50

my honest suggestion would be to stick with nikon manufactured batteries. The reason is that just like how 3rd party lens manufactures reverse-engineer the lens components of nikon lenses, the battery makers (Impact. etc...) reverse engineer the batteries. And just like how 3rd party lenses have a higher malfunction rate, because of that, the same thing happens to the batteries. Except, a lens malfunctioning is nothing worse than AF being messed up, or the body not metering correctly. In a battery, it could range, and has ranged from it not charging, to exploding.
 #675595  by RailBus63

I agree with the previous poster - if it were me and my off-brand backup battery crapped out while I was on a trip, I would certainly regret not spending a few more dollars on a Nikon battery.
 #728407  by stephenmorphey

Thanks for the replies, I was also in the same dilemma, which is solved now.
 #742109  by Cadguru

I use CTA batteries along with my Manuf. batteries in my DSLR's without issue.