Railroad Forums 

• Railroad DVDs...Do You Prefer With or Without Narration

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#415256  by Earle Baldwin

As railroad video producers release new and previously issued VHS material on DVD, a number of the larger companies such as Pentrex and Green Frog are offering some programs with two sound tracks, one including narration and one without. In addition, some of the lesser known producers such as SouthEast Railfanning and Railhead Video offer superb action featuring appropriately timed graphics instead of narration.

As I started to purchase and watch railroad DVDs during the last several months, I soon discovered the joys of being able to watch the action without having a narrator step on train sounds with narration which, in many cases, adds little value to the scene. In fact, it is now little wonder why I have passed on many otherwise fine programs in the past because I found the talking to be intrusive or excessive in many instances. For me, the narration on/off feature adds a lot of value to the product.

Does anyone else prefer their trains with just the train sounds or minimal narration?

Regards,

Earle

#415356  by MEC407

In the case of Pentrex, I usually enjoy the narration and find that it's not excessive. Some other companies use too much narration and/or the person doing the voiceover has an annoying voice. In that case, an option to turn off the narration would be nice.