Railroad Forums 

• slide mailers

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#402283  by Don

If anyone uses mailers to send slides for processing to Dwaynes, be aware that as of 5/14, the postage rate has gone from 55c to $1.30. It now costs 60c more for the lab to return 1 roll.
Don

#402315  by railohio

As posted on the ObsCar Yahoo group, the mailers are now treated as packages and not letters, accounting for the jump in postage. It would be best to group multiple mailers into a larger generic envelope to save postage on batches.

~BS

#402576  by MEC407

Another option to be aware of is that if you live near a Wal-Mart, you can use their send-out service for slide film, which goes directly to Dwayne's. Cost is $4.88 for a 36exp roll. Just be sure to mark very clearly and boldly on the envelope that it's either E6 or K14 slide film. I use a red Sharpie marker. :wink:

#402591  by RailBus63

MEC407 wrote:Another option to be aware of is that if you live near a Wal-Mart, you can use their send-out service for slide film, which goes directly to Dwayne's. Cost is $4.88 for a 36exp roll. Just be sure to mark very clearly and boldly on the envelope that it's either E6 or K14 slide film. I use a red Sharpie marker. :wink:
I also put a sticker on the canister 'SLIDE FILM - K-14 (or E-6) PROCESSING ONLY'. Never can be too careful, especially after I've come across a few teenagers at photo counters who had no idea what slide film was.

Jim

Re:

#599107  by MEC407

RailBus63 wrote:Never can be too careful, especially after I've come across a few teenagers at photo counters who had no idea what slide film was.
I've come across adults in their 30s at photo counters who had no idea what slide film is. :(
 #599517  by Otto Vondrak

I use the Fuji service out of Parsons, Kansas without hesitation. I usually group five or ten rolls in mailers in a Priority Mail package. The service is great, I heartily recommend it.

-otto-
 #601065  by railohio

Not all Wal-Mart stores send back to Dwayne's. I checked in to that and, at least in northern Ohio, Wal-Mart ships outgoing film to a lab in Tennessee.
 #601068  by MEC407

That's a bummer. I do know that if you send in Kodachrome, it goes to Dwayne's no matter what -- Dwayne's is the only remaining Kodachrome lab in North America. (railohio you probably already knew that but I'm just stating it for the benefit of others. :wink: )
 #601121  by railohio

I can't believe Kodak released another batch of Kodachrome. I thought for sure the last batch was... the last batch. Heh.
 #666845  by Alcoman

I read on a another forum that Mailers were no longer going to be accepted ar Dwayne s photo after 12/09. Any truth to this?
 #666886  by MEC407

I heard that on photo.net as well.
 #666960  by MEC407

Here is the thread on photo.net about Kodak mailers no longer being accepted. The author of the thread says he received an e-mail from Dwayne's confirming this:

http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00TDHv

It sounds like it's not so much a matter of Dwayne's not wanting to accept the mailers, but a matter of Kodak no longer being willing to reimburse Dwayne's for the mailers.