• SIX GUIDELINES FOR BETTER PICTURES

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by prt1607j

1) SIMPLICITY

2) RULE OF 3RDS

3) LINES

4)FRAMING

5)BALANCE

6) MERGERS.. (AVOID THE EIFFEL TOWER AS A HAT)
Last edited by prt1607j on Wed May 19, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Railpac

Psssst. . . .
prt1607j : how did you post the sticky? I cant seem to figure out how to do it. Thanks.
  by CNWfan5525

Railpac wrote:Psssst. . . .
prt1607j : how did you post the sticky? I cant seem to figure out how to do it. Thanks.
Well john when you post a topic in a forum that you are moderator of you have a choice of normal sticky and annocement chose sticky it is sticky. Hope it helps

by Alcoman

SIX GUIDELINES FOR BETTER PICTURES

Here is a few more.....(for film users only)

7) Use a quality 35mm camara with good lenses.

8) Use quality film i.e. Kodak (the best)

9) For publishing, use Kodak slide film or Kodak black & while film (fine to xtra fine grain)

Yes, I know I am giving Kodak a shameless plug......but: That's all I use and have used for 35 years. (K64 or 25) And I WILL have my slides for another 35 years plus.

:wink:
Last edited by Alcoman on Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by XBNSFer

Some more...

10) Get AND USE a sturdy tripod for all of your photographs.

11) Get a 2 way bubble level that will ensure that you set your camera straight on that sturdy tripod.

12) Get a camera that permits you FULL MANUAL control and learn how to expose your photos properly - the "do everything" camera won't teach you a thing when IT doesn't get it right! You'll want either a handheld light meter that takes INCIDENT light readings or a grey card to meter off of with your camera's built-in meter, and you need to take the readings in the same light as the light falling on your subject.

13) Use a sufficient shutter speed to avoid motion blurring - typically 1/500th of a second unless you never photograph anything moving faster than about 30mph.

by EricB

Guideline #7: Ignore all guidelines and rules and just be yourself; have fun...

Don't compare your equipment to your friends equipment.... you'll just get depressed. Read photography books, not magazines. Magazines will only make you feel like you need to spend more money on equipment.

-Put some emotion in your pictures. Don't be a 3/4 clone (unless that's what you're going for)...
-Go out on rainy days... Trains don't run on only sunny days.

Trains move, Show it! Creative use of shutter speed, lighting, and smoke(exhaust) can all help indicate motion. :)