Railroad Forums 

• Canon EOS

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#24946  by RailBus63

I've heard that the autofocus feature on the Canon EOS cameras is very good for shooting moving trains - it supposedly focuses sharply and tracks moving objects well. Does anyone have any experience with the EOS cameras that they can share? I might be looking into buying another 35mm camera soon.

Jim D.
 #26012  by EricB

In my opinion, today's modern autofocus by Canon, Nikon, and Minolta does a very good job of tracking moving objects... I own a Minolta Maxxum 9 with 3 autofucus sensors and a Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) with 7 autofocus sensors and both perform beautifully. A manual focus camera works fine for train photos by the way... You know exactly where the front of the train is going to be at a certain point, just focus on that point and wait.

#26232  by Trainheartedguy

I have been extremely happy with the performance of my Cannon EOS Rebel X(s) while railfanning- with or without the auto-focus turned on.

Still need to remember when I have the auto-focus on or off.

This photo was taken with the autofocus...the train is about 40-45 MPH
http://community.webshots.com/photo/146 ... 3702xsszqC
 #26424  by acelaman

Although I am relatively new to the photography scene, I have had outstanding results with a Canon EOS 630. I have plan to upgrade to the Canon EOS 7n model, and a Canon 10D for the digital format. Even with my limited experience, I would say that you cannot go wrong with a Canon. I have some great shots along the NEC and NJT's NJCL and could'nt be more pleased.