Railroad Forums 

• YOUR THOUGHTS ON A CHOICE FOR A DIGITAL CAMERA.......

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#216733  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yeah, I know, it's been told, and retold a thousand times before, on this very site, BUT, I am looking for a camera, digital, in the style and size of a SLR. My "film" camera is a Nikon N-75. Looking for a similar size, and style, with a digital instead of film format. I know they are going to be somewhat "pricey", but I want to upgrade from my little 3.5 megapixel POS. If it would use the Nikon lenses, same as the N-75, so much the better. Awaiting your excellent responses............... :-D

#216744  by MikeF

Try the Nikon D50.

#216783  by GOLDEN-ARM

How does it compare, with something like a Rebel EOS, which I have seen, and handled elsewhere? I am guessing the lenses are interchangeable, with the N-75? I will see if I can't find a link, to check it out........

#216864  by MikeF

Pretty much the same features as Canon's Digital Rebel. The N75's lenses will work just fine on the D50. Be aware, however, that because the digital camera's sensor is smaller than a 35 mm film frame, your lenses' effective focal lengths will be multiplied by 1.5. In other words, a 50 mm lens on the D50 will produce the same image as a 75 mm lens on the N75. This is not limited to the D50; it's the case with virtually all digital SLR's.

Here's the D50 page on Nikon USA's Web site: http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?ca ... ctNr=25216

#217080  by kevikens

I emphatically agree with the choice of the the Nikon D50. I have two of these and a D70s. I use all my old Nikkor AF lenses, especially the 37-70 2.8 D which gives me a very crisp picture when coupled with the "Fine" setting on the camera. A 28-80 or the 28-100 wpuld be the perfect, and economical combo. By the way I have used the film cameras N50, 65, 70 80 and 90s and the switch from film to digital was easy going to the D50.

#217083  by pgengler

MikeF wrote:Be aware, however, that because the digital camera's sensor is smaller than a 35 mm film frame, your lenses' effective focal lengths will be multiplied by 1.5. In other words, a 50 mm lens on the D50 will produce the same image as a 75 mm lens on the N75. This is not limited to the D50; it's the case with virtually all digital SLR's.
Strictly speaking, this isn't entirely true. You would have the same field-of-view with the 50mm lens on the digital as with the 75mm lens on the 35mm (meaning that the photos would include exactly the same things), but there are some subtle differences when it comes to depth-of-field. Generally, though, this isn't an issue for most railroad photography (with the exception of really close-up shots) and for the most part, you can get away with treating a lens as a 1.5x (Nikon) or 1.6x (Canon) longer one.

I do recommend going with another Nikon since you already have an investment in lenses which will work on the D50; no sense spending money on a digital body and new lenses when you only need to buy a new body.

If you can, try to go to a camera shop and hold some of the DSLRs to make sure it's comfortable and usable for you. I bought a Digital Rebel sight-unseen, and it's working out great for me; my girlfriend was going to buy one for herself, until she tried mine and had trouble holding it. (We ended up going to B&H and trying a few for her, until she found one that was a good fit.)

#217583  by MEC407

Definitely the Nikon D50. Great camera, great feature set, gorgeous photo quality and the price is quite reasonable, all things considered.

One question: if you're thinking of going to a digital SLR, why are you still looking for a source for film? :P

#220153  by Steve F45

i use the rebel xt with either the kit lens, my canon 50mm f/1.8, sigma 24-135 f/2.8-4.5, sigma 70-200 f/2.8. and hopefully next the tokina 12-24. I love the camera, no regrets buying it.

#220855  by GOLDEN-ARM

Quite simple, MEC, I want to be able to shoot, and share, stuff I see every day at work. My film stuff generally stays in the camera, until a whole roll is burned, then I print them, and archive them. No desire to scan photos, for uploading. I am looking for it, simply to use for adding to a photobucket album, and to share shots with the rest of you. I don't really "trust" digital formatting (yeah, I know, but I am a dinosaur......) and I want to keep burning film, even though it's so "80's" :wink: Besides, one camera is okay, but I want the flexibility of both formats, even though I don't entirely enjoy the digital one. BTW, after an exhaustive search, I located a 3 roll pack of the "Kodak Professional Ultra Color, 400 UC film, at WalMart. It was the last box, they swore they had none, and it was behind the 110 UC film. (who knew they even still made 110 film???) Can't wait to burn a roll, and compare it to the Max Versatility, and see if it's worth the extra dough......... :-D