Railroad Forums 

• Getting Published

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#169932  by railohio

There's no other way to get started than to submit news photos and enter contests. Religously, too. If you do it right you should be able to wallpaper a small house with rejection slips. That's not to say you should send anything and everything you shoot in -- far from it. A good deal of self-editing is required and you'll spend a lot of time going to the post office in the process. Over time you'll build up a relationship with the magazine(s) and eventually they will come to you when they are in need of material if they know you're up to the task.

#172115  by Amtrak31

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=85751
This picture was accepted into Railpictures.net. Shortly after it was accepted, Railfan and Railroad contacted me asking if they could use it in their magazine. I was absolutely thrilled and happy. It was published in the February 2005 issue. :-)

#174861  by mc367

The best way is, as someone has said to send something. The best way is sending it to a news magazine like Railpace or the such. Be sure to send only you best stuff, as they say you need to be your own worst critic. Also be sure to send in stuff ASAP if it is news worthy.

Books can be tougher, particully if your new at the hobby and you only have current stuff, as often books are focused on older subjects, once again just try to get your name out there.

-Justin Franz

#175091  by Terminal Proceed

Railpace is nice but they don't pay. IMHO who wants to be published without compensation?

#175107  by EricB

I've sold this one 50 times so far at [url=http://www.istockphoto.com\index.php?refnum=cacv12000]www.istockphoto.com[/url], a royalty free stock photography site. I've sold it 50 times but I don't know how many times it's actually been published. If anyone sees it in a book, magazine, or ad, please let me know! In order for it to get accepted at istockphoto, I had to remove the word SOO from the nose of the locomotive in photoshop.

#175210  by mc367

Terminal Proceed wrote:Railpace is nice but they don't pay. IMHO who wants to be published without compensation?
May not pay but it will get you name in the mix and is a good place to start. Of course there is Trains and Railfan but it may be tougher to jump in one of these as the news section is smaller and covers a much broader spectrum then Railpace. Of course this is not to say you shouldn't try, if you have a good shot by all means send it to Trains, Railfan or Railpace and do so as soon as possible. Only way a news shot will get published is if it still is news.

-Justin Franz

#180062  by bshrdr

Terminal Proceed wrote:Railpace is nice but they don't pay. IMHO who wants to be published without compensation?
Ya gotta start somewhere - you can't typically just jump in and get your stuff into the paying pubs. I had my first photos published in Railpace 2 years ago, and still submit to them. I've also been in R&R, CTC, a couple calendars - most of which don't may more than a free issue or two. If you want to do it, follow Brian's advice above - submit, submit, submit. The freebies like Railpace get your name & work out there - as a result of it, I've been contacted by magazine editors for the use of some of my material.

Good luck!
-Tom

#185946  by railohio

In the end, though, no amout of "networking" will make up for a substandard collection. If you've got the material to begin with then you should be able to make it into any magazine of your choice. While there used to be a "good old boys" system in place at many of the magazines that is now out the window. The staff at all the magazines are very approachable and cordial. As I said, if you've got the material to back up the talk you'll have no problem getting published in any magazine.

#186157  by Otto Vondrak

Terminal Proceed - You're missing the point about not being compensated in Railpace. Getting your work in print is an important first step... Railpace is a good way to be recognized and get your name out there. For instance, when they meet you trackside, they may recognize your work and realize that you are serious about photography and offer tips or directions to good locations! Money is nice... but do you want to get published or are you just worried about getting paid?

Getting your material in books is different. Is your friend or a friend of a friend working on a book about CSX? Do you have some shots of a territory he never visits? Then perhaps one of your shots will make its way into the book!

Getting your material into feature articles in magazines is again different. If you have a story idea, pitch it to an editor. Let him know your background, your experiences, and where you have appeared in print previously. If you are a relative unknown, you may be asked for some samples before they commit to a feature. Maybe you know someone who regularly contributes to the magazine who can vouch for your work. That is how you get into the magazines.

And yes, I's speaks froms experiences.

-otto-

#186268  by railohio

Otto Vondrak wrote:You're missing the point about not being compensated in Railpace. Getting your work in print is an important first step... Railpace is a good way to be recognized and get your name out there. For instance, when they meet you trackside, they may recognize your work and realize that you are serious about photography and offer tips or directions to good locations! Money is nice... but do you want to get published or are you just worried about getting paid?
But there comes a point where you have to say enough is enough. The first time you see your photo in print is about the only time you'll get excited about it. A paying magazine is less likey to use a photo that's already been run in another magazine. If you're not getting any money the first time a photo is published, assuming your name is already "out" there, you're not getting anything at all. I had been collaborating with Railpace on a series a few years ago but ducked out halfway through it once it clicked I wasn't getting any more out of it than a free magazine.
Getting your material into feature articles in magazines is again different. If you have a story idea, pitch it to an editor. Let him know your background, your experiences, and where you have appeared in print previously. If you are a relative unknown, you may be asked for some samples before they commit to a feature. Maybe you know someone who regularly contributes to the magazine who can vouch for your work. That is how you get into the magazines.
Everything revolves around having a relationship with an editor. The same goes for Sports Illustrated and National Geographic, too. Starting a relationship can be as easy as sending an e-mail and asking about future needs for a specific magazine. "Hi, I'm [Blank]. How's the weather in Waukesha today? How 'bout them Packers, eh? Me? Oh, I live in [Blank] and do some free-lance photography. I've got a gallery at [URL]. If you see anything you're interested in please let me know! I'm always out shooting and expanding my coverage further. Take care, [Blank]." How hard is that?
And yes, I's speaks froms experiences.
Just for fun I thought I'd call him on this and picked out a random issue of Railpace for a test. Sure 'nuff, two photos on page 44 of the November 2003 issue by our fearless leader. Mmhmm.

#186576  by Otto Vondrak

Ya got me! I've had snippets here and there published over the years,nothing too fancy.

Brian, I agree with all the points you made. Yes, the first few times you get into Railpace, it's really cool. Then, it gets a little old. But, I still enjoy authoring the occasional feature. No one was around when me and my buddy went up to Vermont to shoot the end of the Champlain Flyer! I knew if I sent my story to Railpace, it would be published and issued in a timely manner. Also did a story on the end of the Boston trolley el. If I sold those to Trains or Railfan, they would have shown up months, years later? I liked the newsy aspect of it.

I've been lucky to get into a few books and magazines over the years, mostly from people I know and connections I've made. Railpace is a stepping stone. So is RAILROAD.NET! Our popular author Matt Snell showcased his layout here, and eventually was featured in this year's Great Model Railroads! Hahah--- I dont know if that's a direct connection...

But the short story to getting published is establishing relationships with the people who can publish you! ;-)

-otto-

#186594  by brward

Ryan,
Have the will to do it. Determination goes a long way. Knowing the right people and/or having relationships with such persons also helps. Having your work in print is by far a greater reward than money. Alright, money is good but the outlets for such supplement are very limited. Work at your craft, submit to magazines, online outlets, etc., if you are interested in doing a book there are publishers and subsidy publishers willing to work with you. Also you might want to create a website for your work. Use the internet, it is a very powerful tool. Having your work admired by others is a great feeling.

Brian
www.trainworks.net/

#190233  by railohio

So what they payin'? :wink: