Railroad Forums 

• Modeling SBK's R47/50 Tonners

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1061141  by deandremouse

Received this engine here, it was Bachmann Spectrum GE70 Ton diesel switcher, I did some kitbashing and i'm waiting for the glue to dry on the cab sp I may detail it.

Basically this is being modeled after one of the two South Brooklyn Railway (SBK) GE subway locomotives/switchers. N1 & N2 are part of the R47 class built for the NYCTA in the 70's. Nowadays they can be seen anywhere along the subway in work service, but are the only two engines allowed to make off property moves.

Proto pic
(Jeff Erlitz Photo)

Model WIP

The model is a little wider, technically N1 & N2 are IRT width.
 #1061264  by lexon

Now put sound in it. I did this with my 70 tonner. LokSound Micro with 16mm x 35mm oval speaker.

Rich
 #1061286  by deandremouse

lexon wrote:Now put sound in it. I did this with my 70 tonner. LokSound Micro with 16mm x 35mm oval speaker.

Rich
I already wired it so I can install a sound decoder, I wanted to try the Tsunami TSU-750 Micro-Tsunami which is the only Tsunami that has the Cummins engine sound.

Sounds pretty good

http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/750.php
 #1061328  by lexon

Good.
I got the LokSound because Litchfield Station suggested it. I probably should have taken time to research it myself.
A fellow in South Africa suggested the LokSound also with pictures of his install and I found a article in a RMC magazine.

Maybe you can post your install here if not already done. If you did, I might have missed them.
The Bachmann forum has asked about sound in this loco as well as the 44 ton which I have done.

Rich
 #1061343  by deandremouse

lexon wrote:Good.
I got the LokSound because Litchfield Station suggested it. I probably should have taken time to research it myself.
A fellow in South Africa suggested the LokSound also with pictures of his install and I found a article in a RMC magazine.

Maybe you can post your install here if not already done. If you did, I might have missed them.
The Bachmann forum has asked about sound in this loco as well as the 44 ton which I have done.

Rich
The Loksound I heard is a really good decoder, but I've had experience with Tsunami decoders and I love the sound quality. I'll post it when I get the decoder.
 #1062971  by deandremouse

lexon wrote:Very interesting railroad. I did a search for N1 & N2 South Brooklyn Railway. They have about sixty diesel electrics.
One result is below and there are many more links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Brooklyn_Railway

Rich
Here's a bit more detailed page w/history on the SBK and it's locomotives.
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/sbr.html#Loco N1

Anyway my desk has been a strewn mess of details and misc. parts
 #1069944  by Backshophoss

Hopefully you will replace the plastic couplers with good kadee couplers,use a KD #26(long center shank) to clear the pilot plows.
 #1069957  by deandremouse

Backshophoss wrote:Hopefully you will replace the plastic couplers with good kadee couplers,use a KD #26(long center shank) to clear the pilot plows.
Yes I will, I don't really use the plastic couplers anymore, Thanks for the suggestion

I wasn't sure which # coupler to use

*Edit: Goes on ebay after reply, finds couplers for 2.25 at a last minute auction lol
 #1070996  by deandremouse

had to improvise, there are no SBK decals available so I used subway decals for the shield instead...
 #1078889  by deandremouse

Otto Vondrak wrote:Very nice kitbash, but your paint looks very heavy. What did you apply paint with?

Thanks. The red was a Testors spray can, and some of the black was sprayed on and some was applied with a paintbrush. Not the best bt better than some of my previous attempts