• PROTO GP15-1 Not Working

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Ken S.

I swapped out the shells and demotored one of them so the Conrail runs and the NS is going to be a slug to the GP40-2.
  by green_elite_cab

that seems unnecessary.

watch the problem be a simple fix and now you just scarficed an expensive engine. you shouldn't have to run it as a "dummy"
  by glennk419

I'm beginning to think that was the goal all along. Case closed. ;)
  by Ken S.

green_elite_cab wrote:that seems unnecessary.

watch the problem be a simple fix and now you just scarficed an expensive engine. you shouldn't have to run it as a "dummy"
The motor was the source of the problem. Once the bad motor was removed, the other engine on the track began operating normally.
  by Backshophoss

Might be a lost cause now,but send the motor back to Walters and request a replacement motor.
The reason for the request is defective motor from factory!

Store the removed parts in a safe place so you can repair the remaining model,
or "rebuild" the other model if you get a replacement motor.
  by Ken S.

Backshophoss wrote:Might be a lost cause now,but send the motor back to Walters and request a replacement motor.
The reason for the request is defective motor from factory!

Store the removed parts in a safe place so you can repair the remaining model,
or "rebuild" the other model if you get a replacement motor.
The other GP15 is working properly, it was a simple shell swap between the one I wanted running and the one that I decided I could live with as a dummy/slug.
  by green_elite_cab

Well, you didn't tell us that the motor was bad. what was bad about it?

replacement motors can be had. Try and find one with the same shaft dimensions, it will be worth it in the end. Remember that you PAID for a working locomotive. You shouldn't have to make these compromises.
  by Ken S.

green_elite_cab wrote:Well, you didn't tell us that the motor was bad. what was bad about it?

replacement motors can be had. Try and find one with the same shaft dimensions, it will be worth it in the end. Remember that you PAID for a working locomotive. You shouldn't have to make these compromises.
My guess is that it shorted out somehow. But, I think LTEX scrapped the prototype NS 1446. I had the NS for a while anyway, so it was the Conrail shell that was basically a waste of money until I decided to swap out the shells.
  by glennk419

Ken S. wrote:
green_elite_cab wrote:Well, you didn't tell us that the motor was bad. what was bad about it?

My guess is that it shorted out somehow. But, I think LTEX scrapped the prototype NS 1446. I had the NS for a while anyway, so it was the Conrail shell that was basically a waste of money until I decided to swap out the shells.
Ken, you originally asked for help and suggestions which many have offered. Since you now seem satisfied with your current arrangement, I suppose we should just leave it at that. Enjoy.