Railroad Forums 

• TLT MP40/36 Update

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#907708  by mlrr

I received a pleasant email from the current distributor that I have these models on reserve with and was notified that the pricing information was incorrect. The MSRP is actually $375 for the DCC/Sound version and NOT $450.

These models were listed at $450 US. As some may have recalled, I tried bringing this to people's attention as this was TLT's Canadian price but folks like Walthers and other dealers were using the $450 figure as the MSRP when it should have been adjusted for the US currency.

My dealer also mentioned that the models will be available later this year. Lets hope that holds true. These models are almost two years late. Too bad no major manufacturer has announced plans to produce the modern stainless steel gallery cars to complement these locomotives during that time. Perhpaps they're waiting for the ball to drop with these locomotives. I just hate the idea of putting these with my C&NW Gallery cars.

This is a pleasant surprise and a fairly significant drop in price. As a result I can stick with my original plan of acquiring two METRA and MARC. Originally I had to drop one of the MARC locos when dealers jacked their prices up based on the Canadian MSRP.
 #908360  by fl9m2026

I received email from CMT (Canadian Model Trains, http://www.modeltrains.com) advising of a price reduction also ($169.99 for DC, $299.99 for DCC). In addition to the price drop and projected summer 2011 delivery, TLT has added yet another model to the lineup to reflect other operators who have adopted the MP36/40 since the models were first announced. These will be available in DC and DCC variations.

The added models are MBTA # 010 and 011.

I had originally ordered MetroLink and NorthStar Corridor units, but had to add an MBTA unit to the order. I'm looking forward to the models and hope the summer 2011 projected delivery date comes to fruition.

The cutoff for reservations was supposed to be 3/7, but those interested should call or email to see if models can still be reserved.
 #1012407  by mlrr

I SEEN IT!

One of the pleasant surprises from the Springfield Show was my first look at a pre-production sample of True Line Trains' MP36!

I have been informed that there are still some tweaks and adjustments that need to be made so what you see in the photos below is not the final version of what is going to be released.

I took some comparison shots of both the MP40 (GO Transit) and MP36 (Undec) to show the differences between the two.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm very excited about these. The fact that a pre-production sample was displayed all but assures those who have been waiting patiently for this model that it's definitely coming!
 #1015063  by fl9m2026

Thanks for the update! I'm excited to see the progress and am eagerly awaiting delivery of my MBTA and NorthStar units (I decided to forego the MetroLink unit as I already have two Overland Models F59PHI brass imports for my Bombardier consists, and the MP36 looks kinda "blah" in the MetroLink colors).

IMHO the loco really "pops" in the NorthStar scheme and will go beautifully with my Athearn NorthStar Bombardier cars. As far as MBTA.... I don't have any consist for it yet, but it'll look good in my display case next to my two custom-painted/detailed Overland Models MBTA F40PH-2's.

Let's hope the revisions get finished soon and these hit the shelves before summer.
 #1015377  by mlrr

fl9m2026 wrote:
Let's hope the revisions get finished soon and these hit the shelves before summer.
Agreed! If you're interested in MBTA models, Island Model Works makes the bi-level Cabs and trailers in resin kit form. I don't own any as I bought MARC versions but the MBTA versions (based on the samples I've seen at the shows) looks just as solid. You might want to give it a try (www.islandmodelworks.com).
 #1040823  by mlrr

Last I heard the MP36s are currently on the assembly line right now! They're supposed to be available in all US commuter railroad names.

This is great news considering the announcement was made in 2008. My understanding is that the prototype's manufacturer was heavily involved in the models' development and thus contributed to the product's delay (well worth it of course). They were very meticulous about getting the model right.

True Line Train's MP36/MP40 page was recently updated and they have images showing the different variants by road name which will be incorporated on their HO locomotives (sweet!)

They also announced that they're doing a special run for Engine #401 "Oliver Tibbles" which includes a static model. Some may know that the prototype locomotive was named after a 7 year old boy who lost his battle with cancer and his dying wish was to be a train. METRA responded in kind by making #401 his namesake. A portion of the profits will go towards cancer research. I already had this one on reservation.

I believe anyone who had doubts about whether or not we HO folks will see an MP36 can put their fears to rest

Here's the info: http://www.truelinetrains.ca/locomot...36-3c-3s-mp-40
 #1041031  by Backshophoss

It's been a looong wait so far,with "false starts" to boot,the test shots look good.
Would like to put my NMRX 923 in "lugo" status(Layed up,good order)
PLEASE don't disappoint!!
 #1055344  by mlrr

True Line updated their MP36/40 page to include the artwork for the remaining MP36s due to be released in the middle of the year (hopefully no later than by the end of the summer if we're lucky).

The color on the MARC unit looks a little dark to me but I'm hoping that's not a true representation of the paint colors they're using at the factory. My guess is that it's just a rough representation of the livery in general which is accurate.
 #1060880  by ApproachMedium

Now, dear Kato. Please make us some new Gallery cars for todays metra in HO please? They can do VRE and MARC too while they are at it.
 #1061117  by Backshophoss

"Press Release" type article in this month's(july 2012) Model Railroad News,STILL no release date yet!!
PLEASE STOP the teasing and set a release date!!!

Fair use quote,per regs,"Two versions are avaible(MP-36PH-3c and MP36PH-3s) in the modeler's choice
of standard DC configured or with factory-equipped DCC and ESU LokSound.
Standard DCmodel retail for $189.99. DCC decoder and ESU LokSound equipped models retail
for $375.99."

(MRN,july 2012,pg46,para 1)
 #1090915  by mlrr

Backshophoss wrote:IT seems CMT has bit the dust,the CMT website is "under construction" with a redirect to the;www.truelinetrains.ca
Anybody that preordered via CMT should check this out.
Anyone who pre-ordered with CMT is in pretty good shape as TLT pre-orders have the best chances of being filled without much of a hiccup. I couldn't think of a better company to take over the inventory for folks who ordered these through CMT.