Railroad Forums 

• decoder installation nj transit u34ch

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1134692  by ApproachMedium

The loksound requires removing that board and doing a full hard wire. Adding any sound decoder to this locomotive will require removing that board as there is minimal space inside of these engines.
 #1183685  by green_elite_cab

ApproachMedium wrote:The loksound requires removing that board and doing a full hard wire. Adding any sound decoder to this locomotive will require removing that board as there is minimal space inside of these engines.

I managed to pack mine in without removing the board. I put the speaker in the cab of the unit.
 #1183853  by green_elite_cab

ApproachMedium wrote:Yea, but isnt that board replaced with the loksound board? Its a waste to keep the original board in there anyways. It does nothing.
The Loksound decoder I have looks like any other average shrink-wrapped decoder, it just has some extra wires that plug into the speaker. it just plugged right in, so I didn't bother with yanking out the board.
 #1191628  by talltim

mtliker wrote:I was able to trim the rear weight off and install the speaker to the frame. Pictures:

Side of the U34CH: http://pinterest.com/pin/130956301637139482/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top Down of the U34CH: http://pinterest.com/pin/130956301637139484/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What speaker did you use?