Railroad Forums 

• Catenary on your layouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#782377  by green_elite_cab

Rick Abramson wrote:This is a shot of the former VGN rectifiers, NH class EF-4 on "Jenkins Curve" in Bridgeport,CT.
Cool, i love those old rectifiers. Bachmann makes NH easy, all the new haven details are on already. I had to "down grade" the details to make them conrail appropriate! I notice the jumper cables are painted on your models. Did you do additional detail work to these models?
Rick Abramson wrote:I'll try to post some tonight. I just don't want to bore you guys with too many photos.
trust me, you won't bore us with to many photos. The subject matter you have is so interesting, that i don't think anyone here can be bored of that. Also, the layout looks amazing, so you can't loose. I'm surprised your layout doesn't show up more often.
 #782402  by Rick Abramson

Thanks guys, I truly appreciate your comments and compliments. We "sparkers" may be a minority in the hobby, but we all know that there's nothing like a BIG motor!
Here's a shot of a JET passing Devon, CT tower, SS-71.
Attachments:
EP-5 at Devon.jpg
EP-5 at Devon.jpg (289.06 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
 #782404  by 3rdrail

Beautiful, Rick ! Love the juice ! :-D
 #782409  by Rick Abramson

Looks like that's it for now; the others I wanted to post are apparently too big.
If some of you would like me to email some of the shots, I'd be more than happy to.
There are some pix of the layout on the Woodland Scenics website under "layouts."

Thanks again,
Rick
 #783121  by Otto Vondrak

Hey Rick, nice photos, thanks for sharing! I never get tired of New Haven stuff, and it's nice to see such attention to detail on your layout. Let's see if I can help you get some more of your pictures posted.

-otto-
 #783655  by Mirai Zikasu

Rick Abramson wrote:Looks like that's it for now; the others I wanted to post are apparently too big.
If some of you would like me to email some of the shots, I'd be more than happy to.
There are some pix of the layout on the Woodland Scenics website under "layouts."

Thanks again,
Rick

May I suggest uploading them to ImageShack, and then posting the links? Given the complexity of New Haven-style catenary, your finished work on your layout is nothing short of stunning. I love this topic as I'm an electric junkie, and seeing your work as well as CAB and Steve's PRR-style stuff is inspirational for me as I'd love to do an NEC-style layout complete with catenary when the day comes that I have the space and resources at my disposal.
 #783752  by BobLI

Rick, has your layoput been featured in any model RR magazines? The detail on the catenary is fantastic and so is the rest of the layout.
Please try to get more pictures up.
 #783825  by Rick Abramson

Mirai, Bob:

I'm working with Otto to post more photos.
The layout was featured in the 8/04 issue of MR. I am very flattered by your comments. Its comments such as yours that makes all the effort worthwhile!

Rick
 #783949  by green_elite_cab

Rick Abramson wrote:Gents:

This is part of a harbor scene I recently completed.

Rick
neat scene!

Cool, i'm guessing that EY-1 (?) is brass? i was looking for a small electric i could make a free-lance engine out of. I have a book with plans for this locomotive, but it looks like a tough build.