Railroad Forums 

• My G-guage Empire...6' at a time!

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#281789  by keeper1616

eh - need to register - I'll wait til they are on flickr or something...
 #282224  by Cosmo

Ok, I'll see if I can put some of them up on NERails for easier viewing.
 #282240  by Cosmo

Ok, guys, here's the poop.
I have a yahoo email address, and even though I somehow managed to post before, I was not able to access the "add a photo" option using my yahoo addy. The moderator has his reasons for not liking yahoo and will not cave. I have my own reasons for not wanting to start annother account just so I can post on his site. Looks like an impasse to me.
Please understand, I'm not judging or putting down the moderator of NERails by any means, I'm just too damn lazy to create a new account with annother email service right now, and I just don't feel like posting to a different site after all this.
I may, in the future join some other group which will allow me to post photos, or find annother photo archive which allows me to use yahho, but until then, the above link is it.
Thanks,
Cosmo
 #282336  by Cosmo

Hmmm...maybe this site doesn't like yahoo either?
 #300262  by Cosmo

I just this week swapped out six 1' LGB straight sections with USA Trains equivalents. Now my mainline is approx 90% bolted together. Should help continuity AND solve a couple minor derailment problems....hopefully! :-D Now all I need is more ballast! :wink:
I MAY get a chance to try it out this weekend, I'll let Y'all know.
Cosmo
 #301426  by keotaman

Cosmo wrote:Image

Hmmm...maybe this site doesn't like yahoo either?
No, I think it's how the Yahoo Groups basically work: If you are not a member of a particular Group, you will not be able to access files or photos from that Group. Simple as that. A easy work-around is to enable the free Geocities account with your Yahoo account. Then you can upload the photos to that site, and anyone will be able to follow the link & see the pics.
Like this:
http://www.geocities.com/keotaman/railr ... larea2.jpg

Also,
Cosmo wrote:swapped out six 1' LGB straight sections with USA Trains equivalents.
Newbie question: I gather these are better than LGB? Is it better to not even start with LGB then, & go right with USA from the beginning? Thanks.

And thanks for some entertaining reading, too!
 #302613  by Cosmo

Yes, the USA products are better than the LGB. They look better, (better color/shape ties,) and the plastic ties are sturdier, I think.
Also, the USA stuff, like Aristocraft, will bolt together with tiny hex-bolts which improves electrical continuity as well as track performance. The LGB stuff is just a larger version of your typical HO/N/O guage rail joiners which works better with the smaller guages if you nail them down to a flat surface (ie: plywood).
I picked up a bunch of the LGB stuff cheap off of Ebay, and it's fine as temporary "fill-in" stuff until I can replace it with the better quality stuff. Using it that wau also lets me try stuff out for looks/operation so I know if I like it that way before I bolt it all together semi-permanently.

Speaking of Semi-permannt, I just got a couple bags of "playscape" landscaping gravel, approx 1/8" screened stuff, which I used one bag on the bulk of "Compost Curve." Even though the stone is larger than the "Chicken grit" I used in other spots, and is a bit more rounded edges, it looks like it'll do the trick.
I may wind up using it primarily as a roadbed layer and use the chicken grit as a surfacing layer over it. I plan to play wit it a bit more today, and I may post the results sometime this weekend.
Later,
Cosmo
 #302875  by Cosmo

I just posted this on the G guage yahoogroup:

DATELINE: Bartlett NH, circa 1870

The first (G guage) rails of the Portland And Ogdensberg (aka: MEC
Mountain Div,) have reached the outskirts of town! Workmen of the P&O
RR completed a culvert and a long fill and laid rails on the approach
to town, crossing the town line at a point known as "Great Maple." The
railroad now extends from Sawyers, where it intersects the State Hwy,
south to Bartlett and the sight of a future locomotive shop, and north
from sawyers to the eastern abutment of what will be a long trestle
spanning the base of "Frankenstien's Cliffs."
Oddly, the train was not steam powered as some might have expected.
Due to the work on the line starting north of town and working south,
and never connecting to Portland, the work train had to be moved using
a giant grey feline as a beast of burden.
Photos to follow, and watch out for the giant kitten, she's in two
shots!

[If you want to see the pictures, scroll up and use the link from my earlier post]
 #302877  by Cosmo

I am also concidering renaming the trestle in my earlier shots "Avalanche Brook," as it's an actual location, not too far off geography-wise from where my bridge sits. That would, of course, mean putting the Willey House section building right about in the middle of all those roses. :wink:
 #303561  by Cosmo

Does anyone have or know where I might find a G guage snowplow for a reasonable price? Used is fine, I'd even go for parts (particularly the blade) for a kitbash, but winter's coming on and I got enough track to warrant plowing now.
If anyone can help with this PLEASE let me know! I really can't justify the $122.50 or so that Aristocraft wants for thiers, as neat as it is!

Of course, I could always take a brick, carve a blade out and stick wheels under it,....naaaaaah! I need a PLOW!

Thanks,
Cosmo
 #305213  by Cosmo

...my first G-guage scratchbuilding project....(drumroll)... an MEC WEDGE PLOW!!! :-D
(Yaaay, cheers, bells whistles, toots.)
:P
I found an excellent side-profile shot of one today, and I think I can copy something close enough to it to work....I hope!
Wish me luck, I'm offf to play with sharp tools and wood glue!
WOOHOO! :P

#305216  by Guilford Guy

hmmm if i comes out gfoood make a B&M russell for me !!!! :P :wink: :-D

#305437  by Cosmo

You can get kits for those!
LOL
But yeah, if it comes out anywhere decent, I'll concider it.
 #307081  by Cosmo

After a day of taking my 3yr old daughter "Choo-choo" watching around Essex, Deep River and Old Saybrook I found I had enough daylight left to make a successfull test run of my latest trackwork, and do some night running too!
The 4-6-0 realy likes the newly ballasted track and takes the recently added 5' dia. curves I added quite nicely. I still plan to replace the 5'ers with something more like 8' dia when I can afford them, but they'll do for now.
The recently added ballast seems to work ok, but as I mentooned before, I may add a "finnishing layer" of chicken grit in the near future.
The LGB turnouts I have do give me sa bit of trouble, ie the 4 wheel crummie doesnt much like 'em. They will need replacement soon, again, when $$ allows.
All in all it wasn't a bad evening, and the coaches looked nice all lit up in the dark. Also, the 4-6-0 pulled her train surprisingly well upo the Compost Curve grade, even with a gon full of LGB track sections! But MAN did she struggle! Sounded nice with the Bachmann sound unit too!

If there;s anyone within an hour or so'ds drive of S.E. Connecticut that has a rail bender, (Preferably the "EasyDuorail" ) I'd like to arrange a get together with my track, either at my place, yours, or someplace 1/2 way between.
Thanks all,
Cosmo
 #431732  by Cosmo

Well, folks...
the RR has been on hold now for about 4 months or so, due to I am deployed in Iraq!
I'm gathering ideas, (and courage-chuckle) and will be back at work on the pike sometime (hopefully) in January.
Wish me luck all...
Pete