Railroad Forums 

• crazy idea for street running in yard with pavement

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#514  by fafafooey

I would like to run a street car line through a driveway and i'm looking for any ideas for the type of material I would used to look like asphalt. I live in new england and there is some serious frost problems to deal with. I know that I would have some problems with the flange way getting full of dirt and debris but I dont care. how would one design and build a "street" type of trackage for such a project. what do i use? concrete? asphalt? please help. thanx

#641  by prt1607j

tear up the pave ment where you want it and then sink the track in cement.. sure to work and most this track is indestructable
 #1055  by fafafooey

Hey guys thanx for the help! really! once it warms up a little i'll start work and send in some pics!!

#2660  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Thats Really neat, just like the real ones, huh? :wink:

#4063  by yutzk

Hey thats a pretty good idea that guy had! I might have to try it outside now too hehe

Kevin

#9083  by Otto Vondrak

Hrmm... 1/25" scale street running. I'd like to see that!

Consider what the street railways used to do... apply concrete to the outside of the running rails... pave between the guage with paving stones set in concrete! Or... spike down another set of rails in between and fill with conrete.

Make sure you allow for expansion and contraction lines/joints.

-otto-