Railroad Forums 

• Walthers Horizon Commuter Cars

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1419639  by glennk419

Given the insane prices these cars are fetching on eBay, does anyone know if Walthers has given any thought to re-running them? Ironically, the undecorated ones seem to be going for even higher than the decorated versions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142267096385?ss ... 1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381949739324?ss ... 1436.l2649
 #1420635  by CP-4070

I mailed exactly this question to Walthers in October 2015. Below is their answer. Thus, I think if all the people that are interested into these cars mail them as well, we may see a chance that they will be released again.

We do not currently have plans to re-run these cars at this time, but we appreciate your interest, and will keep the suggestion in mind for future releases.

Best Regards,

Stephanie L.
Consumer Sales and Service Rep
Wm. K. Walthers, Inc.
5601 W. Florist Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53218
 #1420712  by talltim

I've been following the price of MBTA ones on eBay, but never bought because the silly prices, especially as they are bit basic and require work on the trucks to get them running well. (I don't mind doing the work, but not to something that is overpriced to start with)
 #1420803  by Backshophoss

Walters had an online survey last year,requested a rerun of the Comet/Horizon cars with the new style Amfleet trucks
and a run of Viewliners,both View I's and View II's. Also a run of unpowered Metroliner Cab Cars.
We're still waiting.............. :(
 #1422156  by JamesRR

I have about 18-20 of these cars in Metro-North and NJT paint schemes, and one CDOT scheme I think.

The very first batch in the mid 90s were a disaster - they wouldn't even turn on 22" radius curves without major mods. Then they improved the design and they worked slightly better. But the early runs suffered from manufacturing defects (collapsed plastic, e.g.). The trucks have never been good.

I now have the fleet running pretty well but they were a nightmare to get up to par. I would welcome Proto versions with true aluminum matte finishes, better trucks, and detailed/lit cab cars. But I also hoped Walthers would have done a Proto Amfleet Cab Car conversion and they never did that (despite having the mold from the Metroliner).
 #1422532  by green_elite_cab

Its to bad they don't do some of the center-door variations, or maybe some more prototype specific details. To be honest, I'd be shocked if they re-ran them without a major update anyway.
 #1423575  by glennk419

green_elite_cab wrote:Its to bad they don't do some of the center-door variations, or maybe some more prototype specific details. To be honest, I'd be shocked if they re-ran them without a major update anyway.
IHP is producing resin shells for the center door versions: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Comet-III-Ce ... SwdGFYp71V
 #1428606  by mcgrath618

I have a SEPTA Cab car and I'm kind of sad that IHP isn't making the proper decals anymore; mine needs one more number
Anyone know how to make these accept sharper turns? I have the Walthers' Amfleets from the same year and I was considering kitbashing until I realized the stairwell isn;t there :(